I am a new mom to a set of twins. They are 3 months old.. How can I get them on a schedule to sleep all night?!?!?

Shellie1979

Asked by Shellie1979 at 12:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies this young are not supposed to sleep all night. It is important for them developmentally to wake up several times to eat. 1. they have very small stomachs and Need to eat during the night. 2. babies are supposed to be light sleepers who wake up often, it helps to reduce the risk of SIDS. Babies this young who sleep all night are at more risk for sids.

Now I know its hard on YOU essp with twins keep in mind that besides the fact they shouldn't be sleeping all night yet (not until 12 months) the term 'sleep through the night' is misleading, it means 4 hours at a stretch NOT all night long.
    Try having them in bed with you. You don't have to get up and go feed them you only have to wake a little to feed them as they are right there that way it's eaiser for you to get back to sleep again. Your presence also helps them to sleep better.
    onyxravnos

Answer by onyxravnos at 12:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She is right. They need to get up to eat. Scheduling for brand new babies is a silly idea that some person came up with to sell a book. Babies don't thrive on schedules.

I know you are tired. I know it is a lot of work. You can do it!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i am a new mom of twins also, mine are 2 months old and the longest they've went without waking is about 5 hours. i have them in bed with me for now, and that helps BUT my dh also works at night so i dont worry about it messing up "our" time ya know? i dont have a schedule yet eiether,
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 3:43 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I DISAGREE with co-sleeping. It can be dangerous and deadly because you are so tired it is easy for baby to smother and you not even be aware until it's too late!! Even self-proclaimed light sleepers can go into deep sleep when deprived for long periods and exhausted. NEVER sleep with them in bed with you; Instead, keep a bassinette or even a "pack n play" next to your bed. It gives you the opportunity to sleep next to your baby, while ensuring their safety. You will be there the second they wake, and because they are right there beside you, you can feed them, put them back in their bassinette and get right back into bed.
    Also, both my babies (now DS 22 months and DD 5 months) slept through the night at four months and I mean through the night...7-8 hours in a stretch. My DD now wakes up after about four but that's only because she started teething really bad. So, they can and some do sleep all night. Try a routine:
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 4:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• (continued from above) Try a routine with your babies. My dd was getting her bath at 7 pm after dinner, but it really conked her out too early so I switch bathtime for both babies to right before bed. I get them in the bath at 10pm (I put my babies to bed late because my husband gets home late and wants time to spend with them) put lotion on them and in their pajamas, then bottle for DS and breastfeed DD. You could also add reading a book, etc. Whatever works for you. I don't read a book at that time because my son is too antsy. But I do the same routine every night. The warm bath helps a lot I think and the bottle/breastfeeding puts them right out!! I hope this helps! :)
    carol2m2

Answer by carol2m2 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Have you tried a dreamfeed right before you go to bed? Try feeding them by bottle or breastfeeding around 10am. This will ensure that their longest stretch of sleep, usually about 5 hours at this age, coincides with yours. Good Luck. If you have more questions, feel free to visit my group, Helping Your Child Sleep. http://www.cafemom.com/group/112077
    SleepHelper

Answer by SleepHelper at 7:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2010