How can I get my 15 month old to nurse less? I'm going crazy. PLEASE HELP!

My 15 month old nurses ALL DAY LONG! It seems like he never stops. He ALWAYS wants to nurse. He nurses 3-4 times a night still and probably 10-15 times a day. I'm exhausted!!!!

He eats 3 square meals a day plus 2 snacks. He drinks water and cows milk out of a cup everyday just like other kids his age. But he nurses constantly.

I don't want him to stop completely. Our goal is 2 years but it would be amazing if he'd cut down.

ANY ADVISE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give your child a bottle or a sippy cup. are you still breastfeeding .
    canta1980

Answer by canta1980 at 1:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She said that he takes a sippy cup and since she's having trouble with too much nursing she's OBVIOUSLY still breastfeeding. Nurisng= breastfeeding. The cup apparently isn't helping her.

Have you tried having your DH get up with him at night instead of you? Sometimes if DH can get them back to sleep for a few nights they will stop waking at night to nurse.

Have you tried distracting him? Like when he's acting like he wants to nurse, take him outside.

GOOD LUCK!!
    lhawkslady78

Answer by lhawkslady78 at 1:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• u could supplement juice or could pump a bit
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 6:06 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Try dropping some of the feedings. Distract him as mentioned earler and maybe introduce a couple of new little toys to entertain him. This is something YOU are in control of and can make it work out. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Start with nights. Bring in a cup and offer that instead. Sometimes it's a thirst thing. Other times it's a comfort thing. If that's the case, let him comfort nurse. Eventually cut those back. Then work on the days. Offer the cup first, and then keep edging out the nursing sessions. When I made the decision to stop, we were down to 1-2 sessions a day using this method (he was 18 months). He went to his grandparent's house for 2 nights, and I made the decision that the boob wouldn't be available when he got back. When he needed comfort, I would cuddle him and rock him, and when he was hungry or thirsty I would give him an alternative to milk. He asked for it for a couple of days, but didn't cry much when I refused, and he got over it.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:57 PM on Oct. 15, 2010