What's the first step when seeking to adopt international?

Do we pick an agency? Get a home study? We are VERY new to adoption and don't know where to begin but we're excited to get started with growing our family!!

Also are there certain countries that are btter/easier to adopt from than others?

What countries are the most cost efficent?

Thank you for all the help!

***Just want to add before it even comes up that one of the first things we ran into when making this decision was a lack of support from some people about international adoption. I respect your opinion and/or your decision to adopt domestically but we thought about this carefully and we have our reasons for choosing international adoption. SO while I respect your opinions and appreciate our differences I do not care to hear any negative opinions on international adoptions. :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Adoption

• Here you go!
    http://www.adoption.state.gov/
    Lb128f

Answer by Lb128f at 2:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• The first thing to do is to research agencies- google adoption agencies and request information packets as they are free... narrow it down and then do interviews if possible. It is also important that you fully research whichever country program feels like the best option for your family. Once you pick a country program and an agency- go to one of their international info meetings. Most of them have them once a month. It will depend on the agency as to whether you have to apply with them or not.. we had to do so with our agency.
    Here is our timeline ( what I can remember since it was several years ago)- Info meeting ( 2/05), application ( 3/05), homestudy started ( 4/05), sent USCIS paper work ( 4/05), finished HS ( 6/05), I797C came in mail ( 8/13/05), state sealed ( 8/15/05), sent to HQ of agency ( 8/15/05), translated and ready to go ( 9/04/05), DTC or dossier to China ( 9/7/05)...continued..
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• LID or log in date ( 10/10/05), referral ( 2/1/07), Consulate appt confirmed and travel dates given ( 3/7/07), Travel ( 3/29/07- 4/14/07).
    IA is very unpredictable..be prepared for anything to happen. It is not unheard of for a program to shut down or restructure while you are in process. A word of warning..China is now 4+ years from log in date to referral and lengthening every month. It is very unstable. Every country program has different requirements so it is impossible to say if any program is easier than another. Everyone has to have a homestudy and immigration documents completed for an international adoption. Dealing with USCIS is NOT fun by any stretch and some offices are slower than others. Prices are going to vary as to what agencies offer in regards to dossier preparation..also immigration fees have gone up in recent years. Each country has different fees as well... Our adoption was $26K approx. from China)
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Where are you located? I would suggest Bethany Christian Services. I have a friend who adopted a beautiful little girl from them and now she is working on round 2 ... she said that they were amazing and helped her every step of the way .. even after she got her daughter. Good luck! It's an amazing decision and feeling to help another. My husband and I are about to start classes for training to become foster parents .. eventually we'll adopt.
    sgt.youngs.wife

Answer by sgt.youngs.wife at 10:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2010