i feel terrible!!

today something terrible happened, i was going to give my nine months baby a bath, and took her upstairs, i was preparing the bath water and i had her on the bathroom floor playing... the next thing i know is i hear boom..boom.. she left the bathroom and headed for the stairs, i had unfortunatly forgotten to close the stairs grind, and my poor girl fell all the way down..16 stairs!! .. Thanks god she is fine, we took her to the doctor and fortunatly she did not hurt herself at all.. this happened at noon today, and i havent stopped crying, i feel so guilty and i feel like the worst mum ever!! and i cant stop asking myself what if... am terrified that she might have injured herself and they just couldnt see it today and then we would discover something else later on.. :-((

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We all have our moments. Learn from your mistakes and you'll both be fine =)
    xtwistedxlovex

Answer by xtwistedxlovex at 2:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Oh poor thing. Thank God she is okay. My son fell down 3 steps (our stairs are in sections) I hope you're feeling better now. Hang in there Momma.

Best Wishes!!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• omg how sad..
    i agree just learn from your mistakes.
    i just realized i have stairs in my house and that could happen to my baby when she starts walking or crawling..
    lOViNMOM2211

Answer by lOViNMOM2211 at 3:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• it's ok mama, we all make mistakes, i'm so glad she's ok!
    when my dd (5 now) was a baby she was so accident prone! one of the first things was i walked away for a sec. while she was in her high chair, buckled in, and i heard a thump, she had gotten out of the buckles and fell out of her high chair. another was when we learned she was too big for her crib, when she climbed on the rails and fell out. another she slipped on the hard floor, she was wearing socks, and smacked her face on the wood floor and knocked her top tooth back into her gums! these things happen, but kids are a lot tougher then they look! the best thing is just grow and learn from this. by the way, we also had a baby gate to keep my dd out of the kitchen, i was in the kitchen one day and she was trying to get in, and the gate actually slid down the wall and she fell over with it. :) don't beat yourself up too bad!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 3:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I definitely agree that we all make mistakes, but i have learned that it doesnt pay to be in a hurry doing anything, because something most likely will go wrong.
    Trying2bME5729

Answer by Trying2bME5729 at 4:09 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Dont beat yourself up about it no mother is perfect and if they tell you they are there lying. I left my LO sleeping on my bed so I could run to the potty and before I knew it he hit the floor....I felt terrible but he was fine. Now I just never take any chances.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am so sorry. I know how you feel. I can think of two things that happened to my kids many years ago that are similar. Thankfully they were OK too and I had to learn to forgive myself. The only thing I can think of to say to you is to remind yourself of all the GOOD things you do EVERYDAY. Cry as much as you need to. Talk to your friends. Hug your baby. (Be careful not to over compensate now, though, in terms of spoiling her. I almost did that.) Time will help you get through this. Call your Dr again in a few days and ask if she should be looked at again IF you see signs that something needs to be checked. I wish you all the best. HUG
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Things like this happen. Unfortunately. Kids are sneaky little monsters and get away from us quicker then we realize. You're not a horrible mother, honestly. Now that you've had this experience you know to close the bathroom door or at least the gate to the stairs. It's a learning experience. Your baby is fine.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Aw, mama, it's okay! She'll be alright. Kids are made of rubber for a reason! LOL It's AMAZING what they can survive, I swear!
    We ALL make mistakes, and then our kids look like we beat them, and we have a few days of fear that someone will call CPS on us. She'll heal, and so will you. Don't beat yourself up. Chances are, you will NEVER take that chance again, and you will learn from this. And your daughter will be too young to remember. Go easy on yourself, I promise we've ALL been there in some way. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Huge hugs to you! I know it's scary....you are not a bad mom.....everyone makes mistakes....she's fine......
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010