cereal for the first time

I'm going to give my 4 month old daughter cereal for the first time tonight. Anything special I should know. First time mother please help me

MadeylnsMom

Asked by MadeylnsMom at 7:42 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. Not really. Just watch and see if she has a reaction to anything. She most likely won't. My baby is 4 months too and started on cereal a few weeks ago. I just put about 2/3 of a scoop (like the one in the formula container) and put it in her bottle. She sleeps through the night if she has a bottle like that around 11...........good luck!

JaneEyre6279

Answer by JaneEyre6279 at 7:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• do you bf?
    If so put some in it and make it really runny!
    If you dont bf then use th baby water in it and make it runny!
    I tried the cereal with formula and it was sooooo nasty!
    Also remember you are not feeding him cereal as a meal por replacement yet it is more of a taste trial to see what he is allergic to or has reaction to. Put one to two tsp of cereal to like 8-10 tsp water/bf... Then feed him milk regularly after he eats. GL :)
    Anonymous

• We just started cereal a couple of weeks ago, so I understand where you are coming from! :) I was so scared I fed my son at my mom's house the first time. The pediatrician recommended mixing 1 Tbsp of rice cereal to 2 Tbsp of water and 2 Tbsp of apple juice. The first time he tasted the cereal he smiled really big and said "mmmm uh!" He really enjoyed it. I agree with the anonymous poster - the first time is like a taste trial. Don't expect your little one to eat a lot the first few times and it is okay if he or she spits it out or even makes really yucky faces. Logan still sometimes makes yucky faces. Good luck and have fun! Meal time is a wonderful time for bonding! :)
    jamaicanmehappy

Answer by jamaicanmehappy at 7:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• all those comments are great! I agree completely. what i did for my daughter was made her a bottle with her formula then I put one tbsp of cereal in a bowl and then I took her formula and poured some in the bowl and mixed it until it was runny. then i fed her the cereal and when she was done she finished the rest of her bottle. this way you know that its not a meal replacement and that theyre still getting the fluids they need. I found that doing it this way gave me tons of peace of mind. also, at first she had a hard time with the concept of moving it to the back of her mouth and swallowing, so i would put some in her mouth and take a little from her bottle to help. but dont get too into that habit bc then theyll get anxious for the bottle. but i thought i would throw it in there just as another option to help you out! every kid is different and youll figure out real quick what works for you guys
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 8:09 PM on Oct. 27, 2008