At what age should a child stop drinking out of a sippy cup?

My son turned 3 in July, and I feel like he should be drinking out of a regular cup. I'm just concerned about the mess. LOL! Any tips???

Thanks you!

mommy2joeynabby

Asked by mommy2joeynabby at 2:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My older son stopped at around 18 months and my baby is nearly 19 months and only uses one occasionally. Their cousin is almost 3 and we're trying to break her of it now (she's emotionally attached).

If you're worried about a mess, only allow drinks at certain places... kitchen table/counter, etc... They shouldn't be wondering the house with it anyway!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We went cold turkey with my first daughter. She seriously loved the sippies but she loved them too much. She wasn't eating much because she was filling up on whatever was in the cup. So we talked to her about it for a couple weeks about how they were going to go bye bye and then one day I gathered them all up and got rid of them. She had a rough few days but it was worth it. With my 2nd daughter I didn't offer her a sippy cup until she was over 2 yrs. Well, it was Grandma who offered it at Grandma's house. She was able to drink from a regular cup with very little help before she turned one so she never had the sippy attachment issues that her sister did.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• im not pushing my son to stop i mean its just a sippy hes 2 and a half ill maby stop when he get 4 but it just dosent seem important..
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 5:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i just started giving mine juiceboxes 1 day, and then cups...but I dont have a clue when I did it.....sorry! not much help
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 6:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Shoot do kids make messes?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I was wondering this myself. My son is 2, and still uses one. I do buy the ones that don't have a valve though. He likes them better, and I've heard it's better for their mouth and teeth. These kind will leak a little if they're held upside for a while, but they don't spill if they're just tipped over. He practices with regular cups and straws sometimes too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• How does NEVER sound? My kids are 3 & 4, they CAN drink from a regular cup, but in theory so can my DH... I still buy him coffee mugs with lids... The longer they are willing to drink out of a sippy or lidded cup, the less messes I have to clean up, and the better for everyone...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:44 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My kids went to straw cups after Breast feeding and have been drinking from an open top cup since their second birthday.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Parents love the sippy cups because spills don't usually make a mess! With the children and schools that I work in, they are encouraging a two year old to dring from a regular cup. By the end of the toddler year, they begin to teach them to pour from little pitchers. Great skill and positive for them too. If you don't like the look of the sippy as your child gets older they have great cups that function the same way as sippy cups for older kids. Check them in the store, some have collapsible straws, some have a folfing spout. Lots to choose from and you still keep the liquid in the cup!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 10:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010