• In the Spotlight:

Why won't my toddler sleep?

I have tried absolutely everything.. She is 21 months old and such a wonderful child in every other way.. the problem is that she refuses to sleep. Seriously i don't end up getting her to sleep until 1 or 2 am. she has a routine.. I put her to bed early.. she has nothing to distract her.. and yet she stays awake... and awake.. and awake. And then she will sleep until 1 in the after noon.. its getting ridiculus. And she NEVER takes naps.. Anybody have this problem before?

Jaidynsmommy125

Asked by Jaidynsmommy125 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should try giving her Melatonin. It's completely natural and it's what our bodies naturally make to make us sleep. Maybe she is missing it? Try talking to someone at the "nature" stores for advice.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 7:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Wake her in the morning. Don't let her sleep in. Put her down for her nap 4 to 5 hours after you get her up. Get her out of bed an hour later if she doesn't sleep or let her sleep until she wakes (but not longer than 3 hours). Put her down for bed by 8pm.
    Try the melatonin. But also, don't let her sleep in.

Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:57 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• don't feel bad my daughter will be 3 in December, and she won't sleep either. we've tried waking her up early, even at 6 am. but she refuses to sleep. we once got her to bed by 4 and woke her up at 8 and she still didn't go back to sleep until around 4 the next morning. it's the same way every night. i'm not home b/c i work nights but my husband is going nuts. i think i might try the melatonin.
    reggiew

Answer by reggiew at 9:43 PM on Oct. 27, 2008