The this an acceptable alternative to tricker treating?

Both of kids that are 5 and 7 have ADD/ ADHD, and sugar is one of their triggers. We tried tricker treating, but they can't have the candy so i feel bad to take it from them. We tried something new last year and went to Howl-O-Scream instead and they loved it. We have decided todo that agin this year. In your opnion is this acceptable?

littlebit1980

Asked by littlebit1980 at 7:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes its fine.. last year when H1N1 was big we didnt take ours, we did movies and fun stuff at home they loved it.....
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 8:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think it is great. You have found a way for your children to have fun and not miss out on something, while not giving them sugar. I think it is smart and that your kids will thank you for it in the years to come.

Have a great time!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I know what ya mean, I got two aspergers kids myself, but trick or treating was just something so fun for them, they loved to dress up and see what different loot they'd get. Fortunately having, ADHD, they'd forget about the candy if it wasn't in sight, so I didn't have to worry too much about taking it from them after Nov 3rd, cuz they'd forget about the candy.

I'd let em have one piece each night, then then when they were at school, I'd put the bags away somewhere and sure enough they'd totally not notice and I was free to toss em after a few days when I knew it was safe.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Whatever works for you and your family. Trick or Treating isn't the beginning and end of Halloween.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think it's fine- whatever works for your family is great! One thing that my friend does to keep her kids out of the sugar is to have them 'cash in their candy' for money, and then they go to Toys R Us and pick something out.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You know, 100 years ago, there was no such thing as trick-or-treating. I think doing an alternative would be fine.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:11 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sounds like a great idea. As long as they get to dress up and be part of something.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I say if they like it, go for it!!!
    mom2maddie06

Answer by mom2maddie06 at 5:22 AM on Oct. 16, 2010