Do you assume military enlistment = going into combat?

cuz it doesn't
there's lots of military jobs that never see it and have no reason to

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 7:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• no i dont assume that, because my husband was in the army and when he deployed he went as a frontline infantry soldier. he had all kinds of stories for me when he got back.. including the ones about the guys who sit in an air conditioned office all day and do paperwork and such.

but perhaps if i were an outsider and knew nothing about the military i might assume that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I did know that but I also know it is a toss which job you receive and that your orders can change anytime if they need extra guys. When you sign up you run the risk. My friends son has been deployed to battle 3 times in the last 2 years. But he worked a desk job for 1 and a half years before that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That's correct. There are so many military personnel that don't even leave the base/post in Iraq or Afghanistan (and there are many more who are never deployed to begin with). However, I have heard that the majority of the causalities that happen are of people who have MOS's other than infantry or other combat related jobs.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• only someone in the military and dependents would have any knowledge of that insight. People with no experience with military do assume its all GI Joe and Sgt Rock guts and glory sort of stuff. I think they watched too many of those Vietnam War movies or see too many of those shoot em up video games the kids play nowadays and just assume thats how real life in the military is, when in fact for the most part, its like any other job for most of the people there who are not combat arms.

to add, during peace time, combat arms jobs are amongst the most boring and involve "finding stuff to do to keep busy", which invovles alot of training exercises and motor pool stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I know better then to believe that. Not only due to my three brothers being in the military, as well as my dad when he was younger, but I know enough about the military to know better.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I got to choose my MOS. It wasn't a toss up or something they got to choose for me. Although I will say they didn't fully disclose everything my MOS entailed and I found out the rest after I was already in and it was too late. But that was something I could have looked into further had I been a bit wiser and mature back then.

I also got to choose my top 4 choices of where I wished to be stationed. You almost always get one of those 4.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 7:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am not sure of the ratio but it might be 10 to 1 - 10 support personnel for 1 soldier. Also, those enlisted in the Army and Marines are more likely to go combat than Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• But you don't really get a choice do you? For DH and I, going in means going 100% because of our language skills!
    MIA0223

Answer by MIA0223 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Nowadays, I wouldn't be so sure.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010