Should I let my 3 wk old sleep or wake her to eat?

I've been waking her every three hours to nurse but everyonce in a while I sleep thru my alarm andshe doesn't wake up until it's time to eat again. I wake up everytime she she moves her head it seems, I don't know why I can't get up for my alarm. She's breastfed, 3wks and sleeps in my room in her crib.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think if she is not waking up and she is nursing at all the other times then you are fine, you don't always have to wake them up to eat, sleep is good as well.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would say wake her up until she is 2 months. Then, let her sleep...her brain needs the food often.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You should not wake any baby that young up to eat unless they are underweight, sleep is just as nutritious......

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Things may change over the years as far as what is considered good and bad for our babies but one thing that hasn't changed since I had my first dd 17 yrs ago to my 3rd dd 4 yrs ago is let them dictate when they eat and sleep. Babies have their own schedules and they change often for the first 2 years. She will wake up when she is hungry and she will sleep when she is tired.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i would ask your doc, my mil hollered at me for waking mine but he was a preterm baby and the doc TOLD me to
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You both need to sleep :) Relax, babies will let you know their own schedule. I find that I wake up when I hear my son stirring (also in crib in my room), I get him change him and then he is ready to nurse. He is 3 months old and even at three weeks he could sleep for 4 or 5 hours straight at night.
    Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 8:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree with letting them sleep as long as weight is ok and doc agrees.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 8:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would let the baby sleep. My pediatrician ( a group of 12 docs) never recommends waking a baby to feed unless they are underweight or not gaining properly. If your baby is sleeping that soundly then that is good and congratulations on having a good sleeper. Mine slept 8 hours at 5 days old. I was so concerned that I did call the doctors office and they laughed at me and told me not to wake her. She will wake when she is hungry. Good luck and enjoy your rest.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• wake her during the day to eat but do not wake her at night because you want to teach them to sleep through the night. if she wakes herself up at night then feed her but don't wake her up to feed her
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I always woke mine during the day every 3 hours, let them sleep at night. It helped them get their days/nights straight.

Answer by missanc at 10:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2010