How can I get him to stop talking?!

Seriously, my son is a 2nd grader that will not be quiet! EVERYDAY he has a note from the teacher that says he won't be quiet! Any ideas? I'm at a loss, I have no idea what to do! We have done time outs, written sentences, spanking...what else is there?

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 8:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he suffering any consequences at school? If not then I would talk to the teacher about handing down some consequences that fit the crime at school. Maybe it will sink in if someone else is doing a little of the punishing and reprimanding then it coming from home.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Try having a reminder sticker on his desk. Like a child with his finger over his mouth. Ask his teacher if there is anyway she can in cooperate more 'team' or 'group' activities into the day to help him get it out. Continue to talk to him about self control. Try offering a journal for him to write down the things he wants to tell people during class so he can talk to them about it later(with teachers ok)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• He teacher isn't the best this year. (she has a lot of personal issue going on in her home life so I think she's preoccupied). She sends notes but not consistantly. The last time I spoke to her he lost "recess" and had to use the walking track outside instead. They also have to pull weeds sometimes. I like the journal idea But Mommy so i will ask her about that.
    kjbennett26

Comment by kjbennett26 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Prior to class starting in the morning remind him of the rules, when he can speak and how to raise his hand, waiting to be called on, too.
    Then expect him to follow this.
    When-if he does not, teacher can re-remind him.
    Or ignore him.
    Move him away from other children.
    Find another way to teach so that he's listening more/interested. And more opportunities to speak at appropriate times.
    Have the teacher keep detailed notes about exactly what happened when. IF she is distracted she could be picking on him/tuning in. Have another teacher-principal sit in to observe this, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Duct tape.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010