Does anyone find it annoying how tv shows can say certain cuss words.

and our children can access these shows

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well no, my kids are in college so I assume they know those words.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• TV use to have rules for this. Now it seem anything goes. Kids exposed more then we where
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think its a parent's job to monitor what their kids are watching. If they're not old enough to be hearing swears,then they shouldn't be allowed to watch tv unsupervised.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I know. When did "Bitch" and "ass" become okay. I don't say them. I wish my television wasn't blaring them all the time, I hate the commercials for "Dance Your Ass Off." I'm not a prude, but please!
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 9:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No, it's your job to monitor what your kid watches and let them know what is and isn't considered appropriate in your home.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No. My DD knows what words are not okay for HER to say.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have never been one of those moms who had a list of "bad" words. I don't see the point of giving the word shit any more or less meaning than the word doughnut. I also know from raising my 3 dd's that if you make something off limits, that is going to be the one thing that they want to do even at a very young age. If it's no big deal - it's just that - no big deal. One day, my oldest dd, I think she was 6 or 7 caught my youngest about 2 or 3 said the word "shit" and immediately ran to me and tattled. Of course, she had the right to say the word "shit" when she was tattling and that was ok, because she was reporting this to me. I decided right then and there that if anyone tattled on the other for saying a bad word, we were gonna do the bad word dance. I jumped around crazy like and sang "shit shit damn damn" over and over. My oldest dd then said to her sisters "come on, let's play Barbies. This is BORING!" no problems since.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Nope, I don't find it annoying at all. Not in any way. I see it as a bigger issue that someone would actually let words get them that upset... I don't censor what my children see or hear (beyond anything that would be illegal for them to witness) and have yet to find a good reason to do so.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:40 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Nope.

When my son was growing up. There was nothing that he could hear on tv that was any worse than what he heard walking down the street or heard in the store, or at a ballgame sitting in the stands, heard from **me**, etc..etc.. There was nothing said on tv that he didn't hear in other places in life.

As for now. He's grown and away at college. I'm sure he hears and says far worse than he ever heard on tv.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• The first day of kindergarden, an upper classman said SOB on the buss...my son came home and asked what that was. You can't hide them from this in real life anyway.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010