how do you get your 16-18 to school

my two sons seem to forget they have to go to school everyday. It can be so hard cause there alot bigger then me ,so its not like i can drag them out of bed. i try to tell them i can get into trouble for u not going, they dont care . just need some help here...

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 9:11 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• They have no choice if they don't get up and go to school strip their rooms of everything and until they abide by the rules they won't have TV, video games, internet, phone access or anything else. If the 18 year old thinks he is grown give him the want ads and 30 days notice to find his own place. Clearly they have not gotten the message that school is important and they will be going so you need to get it across to them now. My husband has two adult daughters it wasn't easy but kids will do what is expected of them so set the bar high and don't give up.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 9:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• They don't have a choice. Don't give them one. They get up, and go to school. That's the way it is until they graduate. If they don't, they suffer the consequences themselves. Remind them that in today's society, you can't get a job without a highschool diploma, and you're still gonna have it rough even if you get one. At that age, I'm sorry mum, but it's their choice if they want to struggle for the rest of their lives. I'd impose an earlier bedtime too though, if they're trying to keep sleeping in the morning instead of getting up.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:18 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Check out Love and Logic for some great ideas for getting teens to be responsible for themselves. There's not enough space here to fully describe how it works.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Notify the school truancy officer, I am sure they would gladly come drag your sons out of bed and remind them they have to go to school. I also agree with the Love and Logic.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I know how u feel but see my kids know that I am crazy. They learned long ago go to school and love it or end up like so and so. My kids hate missing school and hate staying at home with me. And the day they decide to quit school then they can leave my house. Really my son stand in at six feet and my dd do to. I am shorter then them and they are afraid of me. when I say jump they ask how high from years of watching me fight for what is mines they know that i am no joke. Ask them would they like to go to on line school they offer it here in florida i don't know about where your from. I am trying to get my oldest kids to go to on line school they preferr to leave the house and go to school just to get away from me.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I will look at that. Thank you..
    kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2010