Woman charged $35K in cell phone charges - Dumb?

This woman was a volunteer for Haiti and used her cell phone to update her family and friends on how things were going [via text message]. She was surprised when her bill sang to the tune of $35,000. Some think that she was wronged. I think she should have known that she would have outrageous charges for sending many text message internationally. Most cell phone companies that I'm aware of, will charge you extra on your monthly bill for roaming charges within the country; why wouldn't they charge more if you're in another country altogether? Some cell phone carriers have waived voice services to those volunteers helping in Haiti, but standard texting charges still apply,

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101014/bs_yblog_upshot/shocking-phone-bill-horror-stories-motivate-regulators

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 9:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Didn't she check with them to see what international charges would be? I did before we took our cruise.

I can't see what good it does to blame the cell phone company, she signed a contract. If it were my business I would knock some off because I woulld think it is the right thing to do. I don't feel they are obligated though.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That's a lot of texting! What was she thinking?
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:18 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• surprisedThat's one hell of a bill..good lord!!

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Most companies have a plan in place where you can prevent unwanted charges. You go online and set all your allowances, and they let you know if you are going to go over. Personal responsibility. I don't get why the law is involved with this at all...

She should be working with company to see if they can help her or will write off some of the bill since she was volunteering.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I was paying like .25 per text to Afghanistan when hubby was deployed. But it was worth it to me. I could find out if he was ok, any time of day. Though, I didn't know we had to pay extra per text till the first bill, and I called. It just hadn't occurred to me me about texting.
    I think when her bill started climbing, someone from the cell company should have contacted her. That would have been the right thing to do, even though they are in the market of making money.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 12:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She should have known better, but whatever they were charging her is ridiculous!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Holy Hell! How much were the charges per text???

You would think she would know better considering how they screw you on just regular monthly charges.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• redic!
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 9:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No good deed goes unpunished.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think when her bill started climbing, someone from the cell company should have contacted her. That would have been the right thing to do, even though they are in the market of making money.
    _________________________________
    companies don't watch your bill climb. it gets tabbed up when it's time to send out the bill.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010