teens, Is it really this bad

My 16 yr old thinks i should drop what ever i am doing to do what ever for her.. Like she tells me at 9 pm, i need new bras, ok i say. she then says well lets go now and get them . i say no. its 9 pm, she throws a fit. then texted me this morning on the school bus and says dont worry about it,, i see how much you care... WHAT, i never said i would not buy them. just not right when she wantend me too... so now i feel like a bad mom, cause i didn't jump right when she said.....

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 9:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You don't need to feel bad!! You told her that you would take her but not right then. I remember thinking that the world revolved around me when I was that age. It is something that all of them go through whether they are male of female. Some are more extreme than others. Be patient and she will grow out of it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• DO NOT get caught up in the "bad mom" trap! You are the parent and you owe her no apology. She is trying to make you feel bad for exercising your parental rights. You have every reasonable right to say and do what you did. She will get over it and she will try it again especially if she knows she got to you. I friend of mine gave me this quote " Your lack of preparation does not constitute an emergency for me." Hang in there, we've all had moments like this!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree with jessa, and would go one step further. I would go to target and buy 2 or 3 bras and when she comes home from school, say this is how much I care. I know it sounds childish, but...! You have NOTHING to feel sorry for so please don't say it. When my girls do that kind of stuff I just say, if you would have told me sooner we could have gone, but now it is too late and I will go tomorrow. My oldest just turned 17 this summer, and in a strange way seems to "get me" alittle more than she did. I am hoping that continues!
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If you start jumping every time she wants you to do something for her, she'll be expecting it still when she's 30 years old! Do not get stuck in that trp. In your example, I would've said, Okay, how about if we go shopping tomorrow after school (or whenever it would be convenient for you, but not too far away). My kids are all teens and they learned a long time ago not to ask for something 5 minutes before they need it.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would be taking her phone away for a comment like that! If you want her to treat you like crap go ahead and act like she is the one with the power.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Feel Bad, for not taking her to the store at 9:00pm to get a Bra?! i don't think so! & then text me being Disrespectful! i don't think so! Your daughter should Feel Bad for being So Rude to You; i think maybe she should have to do a few extra chores this weekend to earn her New Bras!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 5:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son feeds me the same crap. I tell him whenever he doesn't need food and shelter, I will leave the house. Because you see, I am an adult and I don't HAVE to put up with HIS BS. Technically, I tell him, I am free to go. He could always fend for himself if that is what he chooses to do.

That usually shuts him up.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have a question....if she is 16, isnt she working? I have a 17 yr old. She's an honors student and works part time. If she wants those bras that bad, she can go out and buy them! Never fall into the.....oh you dont love me because you didnt do this, or that, or the other for me. They are almost adults and need to learn how to do for themselves.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:42 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• You know what I don't have this problem out of mykids they don't ask me for things that they need until they don't have a way to get it fir them self meaning working, or from some other relative. WE raise my children what i mean by we the family andif i have it the family has it. So things get pass down and we use what we have. she should be greatful ur her mother and not me. Love them and don't let guilt get to you.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• YES she does have a job, i am trying to get her to see that part , her money can be used for things she needs,,,, she has no problem buying things for fun.. she could be helping herself ,
    kileighsmommie

Comment by kileighsmommie (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2010