gets a car for not burning a Holy Book?

SOUTH BRUNSWICK, N.J. – A New Jersey car dealer plans to keep his word after offering Florida pastor Terry Jones a new car if he promised to not burn a Quran.

Car dealer Brad Benson made the offer in one of his dealership's quirky radio ads, which focus more on current events than cars. But he was surprised when a representative for Jones called to collect the 2011 Hyundai Accent, which retails for $14,200.

"They said unless I was doing false advertising, they would like to arrange to pick up the car," Benson recalled. At first he thought it was a hoax, so Benson asked Jones to send in a copy of his driver's license. He did.

Jones, of Gainesville, Fla., never burned a Quran but told The Associated Press on Thursday that the offer of a car was not the reason, saying he learned about the offer a few weeks after Sept. 11.

He said he plans to donate the car to an organization that helps abused Muslim women.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• So they're rewarding this guy for NOT being an ignorant, racist asshat? Since when do people get rewards for behaiving like a decent, respectful human being? I am disgusted by this.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 9:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Where is that Koran..I'd like a brand new vehicle too..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I've said it before, there is an ass for every seat.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• LOL! It serves the dealer right! I'm glad the car will be donated.

I just have to ask............how could burning the Quran been racist? Don't Muslims come in all different colors? I get really annoyed when I see this word thrown around where it doesn't belong. It really undermines its true meaning.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:14 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• LOL well I didn't say i'd want a Hyundai..although hell give it to me I could turn around and sell it to someone else..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Good for the dealership. Keeping your word is important so they should give him the car.

Let's see if the "pastor" keeps HIS word and truly donates the car to an organization for abused Muslim women.

That would bring a smile to my face.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'll believe it when I see it. I think, just as the representatives of the pastor followed up on the dealer's "promise", the dealer should follow up on the pastor's promise and make sure the car is donated--or offer to donate the car himself. I wouldn't trust the pastor.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• nah, tnmomofive...it'd have to be a real car, not a hyundai.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sweet you said about all there is to say really...at least he is donating it.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 9:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Wow...rewarded. At least he opted not to burn the Quran. If he had...that would not be Christ-like. I have to remember these people do not represent Christians. :)
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 15, 2010