Girls are younger & younger....

My DD & I were discussing earlier about how she sees so many girls in her school who are pregnant - including ones barely old enough to handle everyday high school drama (my DD is a senior). She said how many of them walk around like it's the coolest thing ever to be pregnant while in school and flaunt it around terribly. I think it's a shame, as does DD. Does anyone else find this sad?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I agree. And in most cases it seems the grandparents are the ones raising the children. I may have had my kids young, but I had my associates done, and we both had full time jobs and our own place. Some of these kids aren't even old enough to drive! It's so sad, and I hope that my 4 girls will save motherhood for the right time.
    Emeraldmama7

Answer by Emeraldmama7 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It's very sad! I have a 13yo step daughter and we are terrified of teen pregnancy. We hope she is smarter than that. Parents can talk till they're blue, but if the popular girls are doing it, everyone else thinks it's cool. How do we stop it?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 9:40 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Keep them where you can see them... They're 13, not 23, they shouldn't be anywhere there isn't an adult.. We have a 14 yr old son, and he's not allowed anywhere unless there's an adult present, as in a parent. It may seem strict, but I don't plan on being a Grandmother anytime soon. It's also his right to grow up and experience all that life has to offer, before settling down with a wife and children.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I find this very sad, they are throwing away their future. If they knew how difficult their lives are going to be, do think they would chose to be a parent at their age? They are looking for unconditional love, and I am ashamed to say, as a Gen. X'er, we forgot how to give that love to our girls.
    cerealmom2

Answer by cerealmom2 at 10:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I had a talk with my 9 year old daughter about this the other day. One of her classmates wants to have a baby...yes you heard me right at 9 years old, this young girls is talking about having a baby. Needless to say, my daughter and I had a long talk about having a baby and the type of responsibilities that come along with having a baby. Our children have all different types of influences in their lives but as parents we need to make sure we are the bigger influences..we can't stop our children from seeing life but we can have an open communication line we're they can come to us for understanding...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 2:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I got pregnant my junior year of highschool & i was definitely NOT proud about it!
    I mean, surprises happen. But it is just getting ridiculous! And shows like sixteen & pregnant and teen mom do not help. Those shows don't show the actual struggles of being a teenage mom, just the drama that those girls are going threw.
    kaddiefrass

Answer by kaddiefrass at 4:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree that it's a shame and part of the problem is that society doesn't treat it like anything to be ashamed of anymore. Girls make pacts with each other to get pregnant, 15 yos get pregnant so they'll keep their boyfriends (they think), and even the parents of the girls act all happy about it. No, this isn't for everyone but for too many. I wouldn't want us to go back to the days when pregnant teens were sent out of town to have their babies and no one talked about it but it also shouldn't be something to be bragging about.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree with you totally.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 1:31 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I had ny first child at fourteen and no i was not proud of it. My mother made me get a job and my own place I had a son and a full time job and finished school. I now have five kids ranging from a hand baby to a teenager to an adult. parent hood is no laughing matter and if we don't teach these young girls now to respect them selves and save it for the one they love then we are failiars as parents. I tell my kids all the time about being a parent. They know from experince that parent hood is no joke. As they see many teenage parents pass through my program and know that sexually transmitted disease are a issue that they don't wan to have.
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 3:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I had my son at 17. It made me grow up, but I don't think alot of the girls who get pregnant so early have any idea what a baby entails! I have never seen any of the reality shows that highlight teen pregnancy, but I think it's ridiculous that somebody would even come up with that concept! Sex is praised in our society today! Everywhere you turn it's in your face! I know he may not understand completely what he was singing, but to hear my 9 year old singing Teenage Dream and some of the other songs that are out like that made me change the channel.

Congrats to your daughter though for having a problem with it and seeing things for what they really are! It sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders! It's crazy that these girls are proud of it.... Are the dads so proud?! Or do they even know who the dad is? I know I wasn't proud of my baby belly my senior year. I'm proud of my son, but it was embarassing!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:23 AM on Oct. 17, 2010