almost 2 and crayons

wow what a mess, how do u keep it clean

kileighsmommie

Asked by kileighsmommie at 9:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With very young children, it's best to set the rules early. With parents that I work with, I find that limits and boundaries help with many things, including coloring! Decide when the caryons and paper come out. Don't leave them out to be accessed at any time. If you do that, you may find that you child is coloring or everything but the paper! Certainly leave them close enough for the child to point to or ask for if they want to color. You can spead paper out on the floor. Just anything big if you do it that way! If they're on the floor, supervise them to help them learn to color on the paper only. If you aren't comfortable with that, have them sit at their table or your kitchen table. Supervise them until they learn that they need to color on the paper only. Set your rule early about not walking around with crayons. You get screaming when you try to take the crayon. Put it with the paper. They'll learn!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Buy the extra thick washable crayons, only give a couple at a time, and keep an eye on your kid.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You don't. Let them be kids!! You could put down newspaper and then the paper the child is coloring on. I taught preschool for a LONG time and messes are nothing to me. I would rather the kids have fun, make messes and be kids. They learn so much doing that. Enjoy the messes, because kids grow up quickly.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:37 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Teach my kids to color on the paper only.
    I'm going to buy a BIG drawing pad from Walmart, because my son likes to color all over the page. And it'll be easier for him to do so with bigger paper.

Tyfry .. Enjoy the messes? Um, no thanks!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son has never touched a crayon. He has a TON of coloring books and paper, but he uses the Crayola Wonder paper/markers. They only work on the crayola papers ... it's still fun for him, and he doesn't know a difference.
    sgt.youngs.wife

Answer by sgt.youngs.wife at 9:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I always put the crayons away when we're done coloring, and try to watch him closely--reminding him to only color on the paper/coloring book. I also have a Doodle Pro I leave out all the time, so he can 'draw' stuff whenever he feels like it. He can ask for crayons when he feels like actually coloring, and I usually ask him if he wants to color at least once a day when I know I can sit right with him and color too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 10:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We keep the crayons put away out of reach, and then when we get them out they have to stay at the kitchen table. If they get up and wander around the crayons go back in the box. We do the same with playdough and paints. When they were still using highchairs they only got to color or do other messy things while in their highchairs.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We only use crayons when supervised. Same with markers (yes we're daring, but they're washable, thankfully!). We have one specific table where he gets to use them (his own little table), and he knows that's where they stay (although he managed to get to the sliding glass door once).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:51 PM on Oct. 15, 2010