Is this normal?

Is it normal for my dog to be afraid of DH who is ill? It's like he senses DH is dying and has kind of "shunned" him, but has directed 100% of his attention to me and is up my butt all the time. Granted, my dog was always more my dog, anyhow, but lately, he's really gotten to the point where I cannot go pee without the dog right there. He watches everything I do and if I go outside to take out the garbage, he barks & whines like crazy. Could it be possible that the dog is feeling grief and is latching on to me more than ever? I love my dog, but there are times when it drives me nuts, yet I don't feel right getting mad at him because I know he can't help what he senses & feels.

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Yes, it is suspected that dogs can sense things like pregnancy and oncoming illness or death. That is most likely the reason he's doing that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't know what to tell you I just know that when I am feeling my worse they always want to be there for me like saying I am here for you. Maybe is his way to let you know that he is there for you. Hope you get a better answer soon. Sorry about your dh and the pain you are going thru at this moment

Alisim

Answer by Alisim at 9:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• he senses your stress and fears. he knows somethings wrong and it has something to do with your dh. he just doesn't know how to help you. dogs are very protective, if your upset then they are too. i know it sounds strange, but talk to him and explain to him whats going on. treat him just like child. we had a dog that did that to us.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It sounds to me like he is very intuned to you. He can feel your stress and emotions. I have a dog like this. Beau is very intuned to me and will act out if there is to much stress in the house. This happened to me 5 months ago when my husband walked out on me.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• my experience ha sbeen that they comfort the sick one but maybe it feels you need the comfort more and he feels the anxiety in the home, my husband and i were going thru a tough time and our dog got listless and wouldnt eat not at all himself took him to the vet he was depressed and had to go on prozac for a few months
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 4:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Dogs are very sensitive to things like that. He seems to be trying to comfort you during your difficult time; he may be letting you know that he'll always be there for you.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 12:48 PM on Oct. 28, 2010