Flying with a toddler...

I am going to be flying with my 17 month old son newxt week, and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on ways to reduce the discomfort in his ears caused by the pressure change. He doesn't take a bottle anymore, and he's never taken a pacifier...

NewMom0513

Asked by NewMom0513 at 9:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Travel

• Fly at nap time, sleep will work. It never bothered my daughter at any age. Maybe you will get lucky too! Have a good trip!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• They have plugs for children's ears that they sell in Walgreens. They work fantastic!!!!!
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Depending on how many teeth he has maybe try gummy bears or something chewy ! Adults chew gum so I would think something like that would help... : ]
    Lexiloosnana

Answer by Lexiloosnana at 9:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I always took a couple of dum dum lollipops. They are small, and can be sucked on. My youngest was fascinated by having it that he was totally distracted from the take offs and landings (we flew internationally when he was 17 months.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son and I recently travled (he was like 20 months when we did) and on the way TO florida .. he was horrible! They almost kicked us off the plane before we took off. So, the flight attendant gave me some suggestions ... portable DVD player .. keep them occupied. What worked for me, seriously, was benedryl. I gave him benedryl like an hour before we left, and he slept like an angel. Flight attendant said that they have to suggest that more often then not, due to children who aren't familiar with the whole flying thing. good luck!
    sgt.youngs.wife

Answer by sgt.youngs.wife at 10:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Nubby makes a sippy cup that has a bottle like spout, kind of like short, soft straw. I have a special needs child that doesnt under stand how to ease her own ear pain, so I load one of those up with something thick like orange juice and she has no trouble with it at all.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I know it sounds horrible, but take along Benadryl in case he's being really fussy. I know medicating your children to sleep is horrible, but it's only once and it will get him through the flight without pain and fussiness.

You could also try lollipops or sippy cups with juice (not water - juice is thicker and you have to swallow harder, making the ears more comfortable).
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:12 AM on Oct. 17, 2010