Need advice from a homeschooler and or a teacher - Desperate

I'm a little worried about posting this here but I could really use some advice so I'm hoping it will be alright.

I pulled my dd out of school 2 yrs ago to homeschool her. She was very behind and not doing well at all. It was really sad when I pulled her, her teacher actually looked relieved and happy about it.

I now think I need to send her back to public school and don't know how. I am afraid of the reaction I may get from the school because she is still very much behind. I keep having her tested and it's always at a 3rd grade level. She should have began her freshman year of High School this year.

I can't get her to do anything and I need help. Counseling, when I could make her go did nothing to help.

Where do I go and how do I get her back into the public school system? How do I get her help. Will we be in trouble because she is behind? What can we expect? Thanks for any thoughs and advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in

• Has she been tested for learning disabilities? If not, I would start there first and go from there.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i haven't done that yet, but have you thought about tutoring courses? i know theres two around my area that would do it for next to nothen. and have you talked to her doctor about this? maybe she needs to be seen by an expert.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She needs a full evaluation and I am surprised when she was a t school they didn't catch it. Get her tutoring.
    haysmum

Answer by haysmum at 10:03 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• sounds like she has learning disabilies
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sounds like my little sister. The school system back home is just awful, and she was one who fell through the cracks in the "No child left behind" crap. She graduated this year and cannot read above a 4th grade level! Forget anything more than basic math. She was pushed through school, and it sounds like that is what was happening with your DD. First off, good for you for wanting to do something. Now, you need to do it! Even if you send her back to public school you still need to make sure she gets caught up and gets the help she needs. Find tutors. Have you looked into Sylvan Learning Centers at all? Also get her a real evaluation, not just whatever the school provides. If she does have a learning disability you need to know to be able to get her the help she needs.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• – collapse
    you should have never pulled her out to begin with
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:18 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• why shouldn't she have pulled her out to begin with? You really think our wonderful public school system would have kept her on track? No, if a child has more difficulty keeping up the school systems do not help those kids stay on track, they pass them by. I have a daughter in public school, but she does well. I pulled my son out last year and I homeschool him. He was getting passed by because he has more difficulty. The OP's daughter may have some learning disabilities and needs that extra one on one help.
    OP- hope you can find out the reasons she is behind. It's not your fault. Have her tested. I wouldn't send her back to PS just yet. If she is that behind it will not serve her any good to get thrown into a class and be really lost. Your just going to have to put your foot down when it comes to her doing work. She may resisit because she doesnt understand the work, but she has to do it. If you have to do 3rd grade..cont.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• work then do just that and help her to get caught up. It may be redundant and time consuming, but it may be what you have to do.
    Roisin07

Answer by Roisin07 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i agree that it sounds like she needs to be tested for learning disabilities so that she can get the type of help she needs
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You go to the school in your district and ask what the enrollment policy is. They HAVE to enroll her if you live within district boundaries. They will MOST likely start the process of RTI and determine if she has a learning disability. The downfall is that the process of RTI , and determining whether or not a child needs an IEP, is a LONG one, and she probably will struggle in her regular education classes at first. Ask about school tutoring programs. You can even look into a Sylvan, or Huntington Learning center for additional help.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2010