Would you take marriage advice from someone who is not married?

My cousin ( and neighbor) is always trying to give me marriage advice, but she is not married and never has been and it just annoys me.... My husband and I have been married for 13 years, we bicker alot, just like we have from day 1, but we have yet to call each other a name or scream at each other, or have a disagreement that lasts more than 10 minutes.... we are perfect - just like we always have been, we are actually better than we have ever been..... but yet she seems to think that it is her place to tell me that my marriage "isnt going to last long" ( even thought we are soon coming up on our 14th wedding anniversary and our 17th anniversary of "being together") ... she has never been married but has been engaged probably twice a year for the last 10 years. so go figure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• LOL Nope. It's like when people who are not parents try and give you parenting advice.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:50 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No way. She is living in a warped sense of reality. Tell her when she does get married or live with someone then she can share..........
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 9:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• no, but you evidently are bothered by something she's said...if she hasn't struck a true note with something she's observed, then you wouldn't be irritated. right?
    otherwise, you could just blow her off. she may know something, from sitting on the outside and watching, that you can't or won't see because you are in the middle of it.
    then, again, she may just be jealous.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Take what she says with a grain of salt. Like dullscissors said, she may see something you may not see. However, if you have a good, strong marriage, you don't need to take advice from anyone, let alone someone who hasn't been able to hold on to her own relationships. You never know, she may see her own errors and be trying to "save" your marriage by keeping you from repeating her own mistakes.
    Desi_Momof4

Answer by Desi_Momof4 at 9:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Nope, just like I don't take parenting advice from someone who isn't a parent.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• NO.
    I don't agree that something has to be true to be annoying. Having someone go on about YOUR life when they have no idea what they are talking about is annoying, if they are right or not.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 9:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• hahaha NO, its like taking parenting advice from someone that is not a parent.. They lack a true knowing..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No, I would not. I would tell her like it is. If she is such an expert on marriage...why is she not married? It is just as annoying as the "perfect" women who like to give me parenting advice...even though they don't have any kids themselves. I just roll my eyes and move on.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Is this a single person who's never been married? If so, no, I wouldn't. That person has no idea what marriage is like.

Is this a divorced person who wants to give advice on what not to do? Well, I might take their advice.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• No ma'am. I'm engaged and I wouldn't dream of telling someone else marriage advice (or any relationship advice for that matter, who am I to have all the answers?) Saying one 'should' do something pertaining to another's relationship - that's just a slippery slope and something an individual needs to work through with their partner solely (and/or a professional relationship counselor if you want to go that route). Unsolicited advice of any kind is not cool, and it would be way different if you had confided in this girl and ASKED for her advice - she's just railroading you with her opinions - not even with the experience to back it up. And I have to agree with some comments above; perhaps she is indeed jealous and trying to bring you down. Be strong and good luck asserting yourself and ignoring this woman.
    supersammyz

Answer by supersammyz at 10:18 AM on Oct. 15, 2010