FOR MOTHERS WITH NEWBORN'S AND TODDLER.

Ok i am pregnant and I want to know how is it with a newborn and a toddler? i have a 2 1/2 year old and i am scared how he will be with the new baby. I also want to now when does it get hard? what are some hard times?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thank you for asking this I am also curious my son will be just under 18 months when his siter is born so I myself would like to know
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 8:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter...very high energy and I have 4 month old b/g twins. So...YES it is HARD! Sorry. Lucky for me, the twins switch on and off most of the time, one will be crying and needing attention, while the other is sleeping (like right now, I have one in my lap) my two year old is into everything so following her around is exhausting. I have her in pre-school two full days a week so this is a big help. If you can get your toddler potty trained this will be a HUGE help. My daughter was potty trained at two because we knew it would be hard with three kids in diapers. Hope this helped.
    Evazmom

Answer by Evazmom at 8:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my son was 17m when his sister was born and he will be 2 1/2 when his new sister gets here. he loves his sister now that she can do things she is 10m old now and is finally crawling they love to play together. When we first brought her home he was fine. he wanted to hold her and he wanted to make things better when she would cry. He didnt understand why she was crying and why he couldnt help her.

The only thing i would tell you to watch out for exspeacially(SP?) if you child is still in a crib. Watch to make sure your older child does not think it is ok to get in the crib of your newborn at any time. My son would get in there with his sister when she would cry and try to hold her to make her stop because thats what mommy did. So just make that a no no from the beginning.

Other then that i really wouldnt be worried my son did fine and i think hi will thi time too.
    Anonymous

• Oh and yes it is hard to try to juggle yourself between the two. I had a very hard time because i had a c-sec and i had to ake care of the kids by myself from the getgo no onewas around to help. When you are trying to feed the baby seems to be the time that your toddler wants something th most.
    Anonymous

• i am trying to get my son to potty trained but its not working! i want to get this potty thing going but its to hard!
    Anonymous

• My son is 2 now and he is mostly trained. we let him run around naked and he got the hang of it pretty fast. He only wears pullups at night now because he still has to have a drink to go to sleep. But he even goes #2 on the potty he will NOT go anywere else.
    Try stickers or reward like m&ms or Something small and give him 1 for Pee 2 for Poo or you could do botj my son did better with both.
    We hav been training him for 2m now and we can put him in underwear now cause he has gotten so good at it.
    Anonymous

• My son had just turned 2 when his little brother was born. I got myself all worked up thinking that it was going to be the hardest thing in the world. It didn't help though that people constantly said that I was "brave" for having another baby so soon. To be honest, from day one, things were good. My oldest, from day one LOVES his baby brother! They are now almost 4 yo and 2 yo. Yeah, there are rough days, espcially when you have to answer the call of nature and at the same time you have an infant screaming because he's hungry and your older child is crying just for the sake of crying. Just take it one day at a time.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:31 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• You'll get really good at feeding a baby while you're sitting on the toilet or cooking dinner. When we first found out that we were expecting, we immidiately starting talking to our son about the baby. That way it wasn't a surprise when we brought home the new baby. And after I had the baby, my husband brought him up to the hospital and just the 4 of us spent time together. We let Dylan "hold" Wyatt and have some cuddle time with me. And that's something very important to do, make sure that you spend quality time with your oldest!
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 8:32 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It is hard, but your son will probably LOVE his sibling. Seeing that makes all the frustration worth it. I had my 2nd when the oldest was 15 months. Now I have a 34 month old, 18 month old, and a new born. Talk about the new baby coming and how fun it will be. Talk about it every day. Don't say negative things about it in front of your son. He will adjust and do just fine! There is nothing like seeing the excitement on their face when they walk in and see the new baby!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Also, like others have said it will be hard at times. Let your son help as much as possible - get the diaper or wipes for you, get the pacifier for baby. Lay in the bed to nurse or sleep while the older one naps. Get the kids to bed early at night. whatever your bedtime routine is for the 2 year old, pull a rocking chair into the room so you can nurse the baby. If you still rock the older one, shorten it or if the new one is crying, put the 2 year old in bed and let him know you will rock him as soon as you are done with the baby. And remember it is ok to let them scream if you need to get away from it for a minute or two! Get past the first 6 months and things will settle into a routine. By then the baby will be sitting up and the kids will be interacting with each other. That is SO much FUN!!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:54 PM on Oct. 27, 2008