Would you take you pet to visit a family member for an extended period of time when they do not have animals and their child has asthma that just got under control?

My mil showed up uninvited without asking to even come here on a one way ticket and she brought her cat! As I said we do not have pets not even fish! Our daughter has asthma and it has taken us 3 years to get her medication and symptoms under control! I told my hubby that he will be sleeping down stairs until the cat is gone! We can not just put it out in the yard, it has always been inside and it is declawed. We live in a pretty remote area and we have bears that like to visit our back yard! I am going crazy! My hubby wants to ask some friends to take it but without knowing how long she and it are going to be "visiting" I get embarrassed just thinking about putting someone in that position! (I would put it in the yard because I simply do not care!)

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 10:00 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Now...she's out right rude! Seeing that my children have asthma, I would confront my MIL and let her know, in a nice way, that the cat has to go. If she didn't like it, I would gladly pack her bags for her and escort her to the door and if my husband had something to say, I would definitely pack his bags too. My child comes first and knowing first hand how hard it is to prevent an episode from occuring, I truely feel your pain!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 11:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• OMG i would be so pissed!! that cat would be sleeping outside in its kennel/carrier. it would not be in the house. bears or not..my child's health is more important than a cat. if you dh had a problem with it, he, his mom and her cat could go stay in a motel.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:02 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• How presumptuous and rude of her! To not take in consideration of your actual child's medical needs and instead put her 'fur baby' first is totally inconsiderate...I don't get why some people are so selfish. Best of luck in dealing with both your husband and his mom - maybe a (pet friendly) motel (as mentioned above) would be the best option. You are doing what's best for your daughter, and please don't let him make you feel bad for standing your ground.
    supersammyz

Answer by supersammyz at 10:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• oh that is rude I agree with dullscissors outside ! I would insist on it I dont care who got pissed .
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have cats, and if I was going to be gone I would NOT bring the cats, I would make arrangements for them to be taken care of (either with a friend/family or board them in a kennel). I have various family members that have dogs and take the dogs with them everywhere they go-- wether the dogs are welcome or not. I personally find that to be quite rude and inconsiderate!
    I hope your husband spoke up and told his mom that #1- it is rude to show up uninvited, and #2- NO pets! In that case I would let her know that there are many fine motels/hotels in the area, and I hope she can find one that will take her and the cat!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:12 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• There you go! Your daughter comes first. Screw her loneliness (which is probably caused by her rudeness and inconsiderate behaviour). Your house, your rules. The cat's hairs obviously will be on her clothes and she hugs your child? Asthma is a serious condition and is lifethreatening if it's not managed correctly. Sparing her feelings is not going to help your child breath
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 10:39 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I get asthma from cats. It's terrible. Even being downstairs will affect her. Can you keep the cat in a bedroom the entire time? Just close the door and keep it's food, water and litter box in there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• she is probably lonely because her animal seems to be more important than than the humans in her life I have no sympathy for that
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• omg can you talk to her & tell her that the cat cannot be in the home, i know how hard it can be at times just telling them but you are only telling her this because it is affecting your dd health.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:17 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It was very inconsiderate for her to bring her cat without even asking. I think it would have been inconsiderate to have even asked. Now that she and the cat are there, your husband should suggest she find a boarding place for pets and put her cat there until she is ready to go home. She can go and visit her kitty but you should not have to put up with her cat.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2010