not sure how to go about this...

my 7 week old daughter still has her startle reflex. she works her way out of pretty much all swaddles. when we co sleep she normally doesnt move at all but when she is sleeping on her own she startles even if theres no sound. i want to get her into her own crib before heading up to germany here in a few weeks and if i dont then i want to get her in her own crib with in the first few weeks of being there...any ideas on how to go about this?

ear92

Asked by ear92 at 10:03 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no sorry. ive been co sleeping with my son his hole 16 month life.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:17 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i would love to co sleep that long...especially with my anxiety i hate her being far away from me. but with her in the bed with me i dont get as good sleep cuz im worried about her. that and i want her to be able to sleep on her own if she has to stay at a family members house
    ear92

Comment by ear92 (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• ? maybe your pediatrician has some ideas?
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:26 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i cant really understand half the things that she says, she rushes me out when im in there and i dont really like getting doctors ideas for things. most of them go by the book and thats not what raising a child is..
    ear92

Comment by ear92 (original poster) at 10:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Have you tried the swaddle blankets that velcro instead of just a regular blanket? The swaddling really helped my daughter with her startle reflex. Otherwise, they do grow out of that shortly.

Answer by missanc at 10:31 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yea i have she works her arms up and out of it. idk it might change when shes a bit bigger?
    ear92

Comment by ear92 (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• The child I help take care of wiggled out of his swaddling blanket very early. Nothing the mom could do about it, so she got a sleep sack and that helps a lot. He has always been in his own crib. The startling is just something he had to grow out of. Once he started rolling over he always slept on his tummy and that helps a lot.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3943222 this is what i have. she wakes herself up in it alot and she wakes up more at nite. do u think i should just keep swaddling her best i can and let her make al the noise (she makes ALOT of noise in her sleep....???) she wants and only bring her to me if shes awake and screaming?
    ear92

Comment by ear92 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It sounds like you need a new pediatrician! Nothing is worse than a doc who makes you feel like they can't wait to get you out of there and on to the next patient. You need one that is actually a parent.
    My son HATED being swaddled, and he still spends part of the night with us (he's 2). We didn't successfully get him into the crin until 11 months. Being with you is so much more comforting for her, so of course she gets upset going into the crib.
    If you're worried about her getting cold, try one of those blanket sleepers (PJs on top, sleep sack on the bottom). That's what we used until our son could crawl.
    The startle reflex is NORMAL. She will outgrow it in time.
    Why can't she sleep with you in Germany? She's only 7 weeks! She's still so little!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Have you tried swaddling her backwards? Thats what i had to do with my son. Put him on the blanket on his stomach arms at his side and swaddled him that way and flipped him back to his back. He would be laying on the folds of the blanket and couldnt get free..lol..He loved it. My nurse did this to him in the hospital. lol.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010