Why don't teen fathers parent equally with teen mothers?

They are both in school (hopefully), both work (probably), both have supportive parents (theoretically).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Because we as a society do not demand it of them. This may well be a good thing as youngsters are well known for poor impulse control. Think about this if a Teen-Mother has a parent who will "MOTHER" the child... Do they take anymore responsibility than Baby-Daddy?. We can not completely teach our teens about the realities of rearing children on a day to day basis but we need to make much more effort than is now being made. I see shows about teens taking care of 'eggs' 24/7 to keep them from getting broken or taking care of robotic babies they have to imput data on when it's time to feed, change. or comfort the baby. I have never seen this. I wonder why. Is it just not in the educational budget? Maybe it should be. Just think how much cheaper it would be to teach, than to support!
    KISS1224

Answer by KISS1224 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I know 4 guys who I grew up with who took full custody of thier children at 16, 17, and 19! (2 were 16) and they are phenominal dads, and it is the mom who skipped out, doesnt pay support, and doesnt care to see the child! I disagree with this...sorry! ( BTW I am a woman who ahd a child at 16 and I happen to have a deadbeat dad o my hands) So i know that it happens, but it goes both ways!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Because usually teen parents are not married and the mother has the child 90% of the time. A lot of the time the mother bows to the wishes of her family and keeps the father out of the picture. She does this because she is usually living at home and needs their support, or at least thinks she does, and they bully her into keeping the father away.
    fairy_fan

Answer by fairy_fan at 10:32 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I believe it boils down to maturity.

When you're young and learn that you are pregnant, a lot of things change, physiologically, mentally, and emotionally... Unfortunately the same effect is rarely felt to the same degree on the part of the father, who does not have to experience the same changes in order to function. Not to say that ALL teen moms experience this, but most do.
    Unfortunately we're left to care for the child, and most of us do seek help from the father, rather than simply "bowing to the family's wishes" and excluding him from the picture.

My DD has not seen her bio father since she was 10 months old, and he now has 2 other children that he does not care for... its a sad situation at best, but not for a lack of willingness to involve him in her life. He simply did not mature enough to take responsibility for his actions. I don't think he ever will, it has been almost 9 years since we have had any contact.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• They figure the "kid" is more her problem. Many guys blame the girl for getting pregnant.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:25 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yup agree w/butterflyblue19
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:27 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think it's a maturity thing....the more you mature, the better you parent....girls mature in that area faster than boys.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My daughters 30 yr old father still has not grown up enough to understand his role as a father. So its not just teens.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Now a days the shoe is on both feet.

I know a few single dads, and you here alot about dad's raising the children and moms skipping out.

There are alot more then spoke of. Too the parents men or woman that skip out on their child shame on you. If you were young and gave your child up that is diffrent, but if your older, have more then one and know better then shame, shame on you....
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• They probably don't want to be a father and don't care. Boys are not as mature as girls at that age, for one.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2010