I'm so scared for my 2 & 4 year old!

So last week my ex-husband tells me that when he FINALLY took our 2, almost 3 y o (A) & our 4 1/2 (J) y o to the dentist. The dentist told him A has to see a specialist bc 'she was giving the dentist a hard time'. At that time, A had 4 cavities, all in front. J had 8 cavities, 6 in front, & in all of his molars. Last friday my ex cancels my parenting time with the kids bc they're all sick (another can of worms). He then tells me that both kiids need 3 or 4 ROOT CANALS!!! So, needless to say, i've been pissed. My ex has had physical custody for 2 1/2 y, & it's been purhell fighting in court for more time with my kids. Before my ex got the kids, they were healthy, & now they're going to have fillings & root canal! I'm pissed at my ex for not taking care of my babies, & i'm scared for my babies bc of what they have to go through! ugh....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• He cannot cancel your visitation because of them being sick. They can be sick at your house just as good as they can at his. You need to document everything and get a new lawyer
    mamakrysoftwo

Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 10:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• To me it looks like neglect. Why so many cavities? Do he not brush their teeth or take care of their dental hygiene? I would be furious! I would seek legal advice immediately to get my kids back! Why does he have them if you dont mind my asking?
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 10:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i don'y have the money for a lawyer, & i've been trying to prove he's neglecting the kids...i'm going to the dentist today to see if i can get copies of the charts, & maybe a letter from the dentist saying how the kids' teeth could've gotten so bad.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 10:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Some children just have weak and vulnerable teeth. With the amount of work that needs to be done, you should check with your county to see if they are having any of the free or reduced dental clinics for small children. I'm not sure if they are income based. Otherwise, if you have insurance that covers it, I would also consider checking into a pediatric dentist that deal with children. Some family dentists specialize in children and they would be a good choice for your scared child. No one wants that first experience to be so frightening. The residual affects can last a life time. I am living proof.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• there was an issue when the cps case was closed, & i had to leave court before we were called, so he got the kids.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 10:53 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• when my son was 2, he didn't have any cavities, & i had custody. After 1 year with dad, J had 3 cavities, seen by the pedi, & i've been fighting to get a court order for the kids to see the dentist. Just recently got one.

lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 10:57 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Has anyone ever heard of root canals on kids that young? I mean, those aren't even their permanent teeth.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• that's why i'm going to the dentist' office.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 11:05 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yeah I think a root canal is too much for kids... I think maybe the dentist's office is trying to make some money off your hubby and in the end torcher your children. I would look into that. There are some dentists that are shady.

I do think he needs to be doing better with brushing for the kids if they have so many cavities. The habits we teach at a young age is the ones they keep as adults.

I also agree that he doesnt have the right to keep the kids away just bc they are sick because you can take care of them. There are lawyers who work cases like yours that will give advice for free. They also will work with you on payment options.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i don't have the money for a lawyer, at any rate. if i did, i would have one. but i know my ex is neglecting the kids, bc of past incidents. i've argued with the sick thing...but i can't MAKE him do anything. so it's back to court. i'm just worried about my kids.
    lilydoyle

Answer by lilydoyle at 11:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2010