This has never occured to me, but...

is calling blacks 'colored' as derogatory as calling them the 'N' word?
I'm watching the DVR'd Housewive's of DC reunion show, and they are talking about it, and I hadn't ever thought about it. I know back in the day, whites would call blacks 'colored', but I never thought that today it was thought of as derogatory. I guess I hadn't thought about it because it's rarely said, or I rarely hear it. But, is it derogatory?

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't know if it is offensive but to me it sounds very outdated.
    HelenCarlene

Answer by HelenCarlene at 10:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My opinion... N word is WAY worse, but colored is still rude. Everyone is colored right, so why single them out as colored.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 10:54 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't consider the words "colored' or "black" anywhere near as derogatory as "the N word"...but then again I've heard several black people themselves refer to themselves as n*****s. I hate when people use the N word. I think it makes the person who is saying it look very uneducated and obnoxious. Maybe an African American can help answer this question. Ask what word they prefer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• most black people i know are offended by it unless its said by an older person that they know means no harm by it...my SO flips put when he hears someone say it usually, but there is a 70ish yr old man at his work that uses the term because that was the nice term when he was growing up...he doesnt mean anything bad by it and is actually one of my SO's favorite coworkers. i would never use the term myself out of respect.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 10:58 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That's what I thought. That 'colored' was used, long ago, instead of 'N.....'. So, I didn't understand why on this show they were saying it's just as bad. The one girl was saying because of the connotations? IDK. Just thought I'd ask. I don't use it, but I was curious.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 11:01 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have a wonderful mentor that is black. She is fine with the word black and fine with the word Negro (which means black!). I am not sure about colored, but I think she would be okay with that too. She isn't okay with being called an African-American though. She says she has no idea where her "people" came from, but she was born here as a citizen so she is an American...period!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:08 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• To me it just sounds outdated.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• She isn't okay with being called an African-American though. She says she has no idea where her "people" came from, but she was born here as a citizen so she is an American...period!"

That's a good point made by her. I'm white, and I don't expect people to call me "Irish American" because my ancestors came from Ireland. I'm American and my skin color is "white".
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• This actually made for some awkward conversations in one of my classes today. We were discussing a movie made in the 50's that dealt heavily with race issues. In the movie, there's one scene where a girl is abused and referred to by the n word, but through the rest of the movie, the common term is colored, used by everyone. The professor got this look on her face like she was waiting for someone to be offended every time she had to quote a part of the movie, and people were going out of their way to be overly pc to compensate for it.

I don't use the word, and I'd leave it to people it would be addressed to to decide if it's truly "offensive" or not, but it definitely makes the whole room uncomfortable when it comes up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It is a deragatory term for black people. not as bas as the N-word, but not good

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 1:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010