How long did your first period after giving birth last, & how long before it came?

I gave birth 5 weeks ago, & of course had the bleeding (lochia) for a couple of weeks afterward, but got my first period about a week ago, & it's still lingering! My periods were about 5-6 days long before I got pregnant, & regular. (every 28-30 days.) I sure didn't get a break between the lochia & my first period! I breast & formula feed. Just curious because with my son 6 years ago, it was pretty much the same scenario as what it is now.

nicksmom604

Asked by nicksmom604 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Both times my periods just went to being back to normal like they were before pregnancy. So every 28 days days I got it and it lasted 5-6 days.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Mine came back at around 6 months after having each kid. It was my regular, 4 day period.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• With my daughter I never got one, I got pregnant with my son when she was 11 months old, and hadnt gotten one at all before that, then with my son it was about a year, and it was just like my periods were before. (I breastfed exclusivly)
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:16 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• it took almost a year. ( i breastfed and got and iud) and it lasted almost 2 weeks. then i only had them about every 6 months.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• With my first, I got it at 5 weeks, and it was 7 or 8 days long (usually 4 pre-preg) and very heavy.

With my second, I got it again at 5 weeks, but it was pretty normal. However, I hadn't ovulated, so that's probably why it was so much lighter than after my first.

It's normal for the first post-partum period to last longer and be heavier than normal. It's your body's way of cleaning itself out. If you're soaking through a pad/tampon an hour, though, or if you're otherwise concerned at all, you should call your doctor.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:38 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I got my first period 61/2 after I had my son and I think that is because I had sex, lol, Idk really, it was just uncanny how I had sex and the next day, there was my period.... and I think my period regulated much better after I had my son. And he was born thru a c-section, and I didn't bleed at all between having him and that first period, I was wearing white pajama pants in the hospital before I went home.
    one more thing, I've been TTC and we have had no luck, been trying for almost a year now.
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 1:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I didnt get mine until my daughter was 8mos & it only lasted 2 days. then i didnt have another one for two and a half months that also lasted two days.
    But i also breastfed.
    kaddiefrass

Answer by kaddiefrass at 5:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My period came back at 7 weeks 6 days pp and it lasted 4-5 days.
    JaLayah

Answer by JaLayah at 8:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2012