Would you like your kids to learn more than one language?

I always wished I knew how to speak more than one language and I heard it's easier to start teaching kids when they are younger. I want my daughter to learn English and Spanish.

newmommymadd251

Asked by newmommymadd251 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Si, senorita! I'm germexican (german, mexican)...and took german in HS and spanish in middle school. I'm not fluent by any means but it has come in handy in the real world and connected me to my culture(s). I think it encourages children's awareness and growth. Perhaps there are immersion programs for school-age children in your area? There are three prominent ones in my region, including japanese, spanish, and french. Have fun!
    supersammyz

Answer by supersammyz at 11:10 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We homeschool and my 5 y/o son has already started Spanish and will begin some basic Latin in January.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:13 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My kids both speak sapinsh and english. I wish they knew one more language.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It's not really important to me for my kids to learn another language. I would like for them to eventually learn some basic spanish, simply because there are so many spanish speaking people in the area, but I would rather they have an extensive background in english, both written and spoken, before concentrating on another language.

Answer by missanc at 11:28 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I home school also and I would say definitely take advantage of your child's incredible ability to learn more while they are young. My first dd I homeschooled for her 1st 1/2 of kindergarten and I took advantage of her love of Dora and used a lot of Spanish along with English. I was very upset for her when I had to go back to work and had no choice but to enroll her in public school after Christmas break. I was overjoyed to learn our school districts kindergarten had one class I could put her in and they had 1/2 English speaking only kids and 1/2 Spanish speaking only kids and their education would be a mix of both PLUS a couple days of a little bit of German! The plan was to have these same kids stay together through 5th grade and see how fluent they were - well, my dd had to go to a different school for 3rd grade, but let me tell you! She was and still is VERY fluent in Spanish and knows a lot of her German yet and she is
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:29 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• now in 8th grade! In fact, my DH, her step dad went to buy a car from a guy when she was in 2nd grade and the owner only spoke Spanish. My DH only knew "uno momento" and left. He came running home, grabbed my dd and ran back to the guy! He bought the car having my 8 yr old dd translate the whole deal! I couldn't believe it! She jokingly told my DH that she jakked the price up for my DH so she could "get a cut of the payment!"
    My other 2 dd's are now home schooled by me and we are doing Spanish and American Sign Language. I think that it is very important for our kids to learn more than one language because they will have better job prospects in the future knowing how to speak another language fluently. I am excited about what we are learning and it's a lot of fun too! My kids are so much better able to learn than I am though!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:34 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My family is fluent in english as well as ASL, my 2 year old can hold whole conversations in ASL, but is just starting to speak in sentences.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 11:35 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yes. my daughter already understands and speaks works in both languages. My family is Cuban so there is alot of spanish being spoken. I hope she keeps up with it becuase even though i understand everything i have a hard time speaking it.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Little children are like sponges when it comes to learning languages! Many will speak one more fluently and understand the other but speak it here and there. Some others can hop back and forth from one language to another so easily! With the parents that I work with, many very young children speak two languages. The only time that I have suggested teaching one at a time, is when a child has a speech delay. If a child is at nursery school or any other play groups, they become limited in their ability to communicate with their peers. That causes frustrations which is taken out in many ways (isolation or aggression). For most children, I would say it's wonderful to teach other languages. If your primary language has come easily and she's age appropriate or above with speech now, it's a great time for her to learn!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 12:08 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yes! My husband's family is Japanese, so he's learning some Japanese from them, and I'm speaking to him in Spanish when I can (though I don't speak it as well as I used to). He has a vast vocabulary in English, and is doing really well with his speech.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:34 PM on Oct. 15, 2010