First Period adult content

My DD is 9, and and has been complaining for more than a week that her stomach hurts. Yesterday she came home from school and told me that when she peed there was blood on the tissue... Man, I hadn't expected this yet, I got my first period when I was 10.
She said that there hadn't been any more spotting, but I went to the store last night and got her some pads, showed her how to use them, and packed a pair of panties and some pads in a bag in her backpack.

We've already had a lot of discussion, and have a very open relationship. She doesn't hesitate to ask questions, so I was glad she talked to me... BUT, should I let the school nurse know so that she doesn't feel embarrassed if she gets her period at school and needs to go to the office?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:15 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Wow! That seems really young to me. I didn't get mine until I was 13. My sisters twins just got thiers this summer at 12 1/2.
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 12:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would call her teacher and let her know. This is a scary time for both of you.It's obvious that you're worried for her. I think you've done everything you can to prepare her. I would also make sure that pair of panties and pads is either in a separate compartment of disguised some way so she doesn't forget, open the bag and have it all come tumbling out.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• yes, i would. and the nurse may be having the same issue with other girls already....girls are starting very early these days...and starting at 9 is not too unheard of, my Mom started at 9 and she is 47 now.
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It is tucked away in an inner zippered compartment of her backpack just so that does not happen, and I even had her apply a pad to the panties so she doesn't have to fuss with them when she changes :)

As far as the teacher goes, she would NEVER forgive me if I told him. This year she has a male homeroom teacher for her advanced classes, and he is a young (very attractive) man... She even has a little crush on him, which is great, since she is motivated to show off and do excellent work for him! lol That is why I think I should talk to the nurse. He is really good about letting the kids go to her office when something is wrong, especially they girls- I think, just for this reason, KWIM?

I was homeschooled, so I never had to deal with this, and I'm just afraid that I haven't covered all of the bases. What else could I be forgetting?
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I started my period at 9. I remember I was actually the "cool" kid by all the girls. They were all so jealous I had started already. (I WISH I HADNT) It was right after my mom died so my dad had to explain everything to me. Talk about akward. If it would make you feel better about it I would let the home nurse know. Since the teacher is Male that is a toughy but hes a grown man and you dont have to go into details (or tell her you told him) just let him know if she wants to go to the nurses office please let her. You dont have to tell him why. I think you did a great job momma! Keep up the good work. BBOOOO for our babies growing up!!!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Just a thought. Is there a female teacher at school she could talk with if she had any questions or situations at school? I remember when I was a kid teachers were not very lenient about letting kids go to the bathroom.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I've no doubt that he would handle it professionally, but I *promised* her I wouldn't tell him. I can't break that agreement.

She goes to an intermediate school (3rd, 4th & 5th grades), and had a girl in her class last year who was horribly embarrassed when she got her period and thought she was going to die. I can't imagine why her mother had not prepared her.
    It scares the crap out of me that she is growing up so fast, and I really didn't think it would happen so soon! I was *MUCH* more developed than she is- shes a teenie little slip of a girl, I thought I would have just a little bit longer.
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You are a great Mom!!! I know its hard to think about your baby starting her cycle but you've equipped her with the tools necessary to feel comfortable wkhen it does happen. Kuddos to you!!!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• keep in mind that it may not be a period, though it could be. 9 may not be too young for her.

she could have a infection of some kind- might want to have a urine test run for blood just in case.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• don't feel bad, my younger BIL made a comment a while back referring to the idea that he wasn't expecting my niece to run into this until she was about 15!
    me and his wife just looked at each other, she said
    "I was 11"
    "I was 10!"
    BIL literally turned white and stammered something to the affect of 'you mean my I may only have another 7 years before my little girl becomes a young woman!?'

that's right mister!

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:54 PM on Oct. 15, 2010