If you do not celebrate Halloween

What do you actually believe that its historical significance is, and what it signifies?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 11:20 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I remember having to explain the real roots of Halloween to my in-laws. They are VERY old school Christians and still thought of it as "The Devils Holiday".

Some facts:
    Halloween is on October 31st, the last day of the Celtic calendar. It was originally a Pagan holiday, honoring the dead. Halloween was referred to as All Hallows Eve and dates back to over 2000 years ago.

All Hallows Eve is the evening before All Saints Day, which was created by Christians to convert pagans, and is celebrated on November 1st. The Catholic church honored saints on this designated day.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Masks and consumes were worn in an attempt to mimic the evil spirits or appease them.Trick-or-treating, is an activity for children on or around Halloween in which they proceed from house to house in costumes, asking for treats such as confectionery with the question, "Trick or treat?" The "trick" part of "trick or treat" is a threat to play a trick on the homeowner or his property if no treat is given. Trick-or-treating is one of the main traditions of Halloween. It has become socially expected that if one lives in a neighborhood with children one should purchase treats in preparation for trick-or-treaters."
    Anonymous

• The celebration of Halloween is Pagan in origin, associated with the Celtic (?) festival of Samhain, if I recall correctly, and was not part of the early Christian beliefs. After the deaths of Christ's original apostles, all kinds of traditions were blended in as an attempt to "Christianize" Pagan beliefs into Christianity. Most churchgoers know this and celebrate it anyway. We do not celebrate Halloween or any other "holiday" in my home, but respect the rights of others to celebrate them if they so choose.
    69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 2:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• To me it signifies dressing my kids up and going out trick or treating.

Historically Halloween is a mix of Samhain, All saints Day, and All Souls Day.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:20 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• http://www.halloweenhistory.org/

"The festival of Samhain is a celebration of the end of the harvest season in Gaelic culture. Samhain was a time used by the ancient pagans to take stock of supplies and prepare for winter. The ancient Gaels believed that on October 31, the boundaries between the worlds of the living and the dead overlapped and the deceased would come back to life and cause havoc such as sickness or damaged crops. The festival would frequently involve bonfires. It is believed that the fires attracted insects to the area which attracted bats to the area. These are additional attributes of the history of Halloween.

Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't know why that posted anon. that's mine
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I visited a Pentecostal church recently where the pastor said that they were celebrating Halloween for 2 reasons:

G-d made all the days therefore all the days are holy
    Kids should have fun
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't celebrate it because my husband religion don't allow it if u can say it like that. We compromise, we don't celebrate halloween or baptize the kids until they are old enough to decide. We both take them, me to the church and him to the kidnom of hall.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 11:21 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Mines the same reason as sweety, I love halloween, but my husband is dead against it, and I wouldnt want him to push something on my kids that I was so against, so I dont do it to him either.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 11:36 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't think it's been adopted as "christian" holiday...I think it's just become mainstream. As there are many christians who don't celebrate it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010