Headband size for 18 month old?

ok so I've come up with this cool idea as a christmas gift for my daughter's cousin. (she's not techinically my niece) She is going be be about 16 months old around christmas. I want to make her a cloth headband (not the one with the ridgid plastic in them. It's kinda stretchy fabric. Then I'm going to have my dd1 knitt a yarn flower and then sew it on the headband. That way it's from her cousin and my DD! gets to use her spool knitter. Anyways! How nig should i make the headband? Anyone made anything like this before? Any tips?

MyIslandGirls

Asked by MyIslandGirls at 8:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I just made a headband earlier tonight out of yarn for my daughter...but the purpose of the headband is to keep her ears warm on halloween night...it's not something cutesy...though it really is cute ;) I crocheted mine. Do you know any other kids about that age? You could "borrow" their head to get the approx. size.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Dude... Totally didnt even think of "Borrowing" a head! lol
    Should i allow for growth or would the strechy fabric do that for me? My dd1 has a headband that i bought her that is exactly what i need.. but i know it would be too big for her cousin (too much fabric) I'll just take my measuring tape to my "Parent and Tot" group on Wenesday and borrow a head. I believe a few of the girls there would be about that size.
    MyIslandGirls

Answer by MyIslandGirls at 11:40 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• It depends on how long you want her to be able to wear it I guess. I'm not sure I've ever seen the fabric you're talking about...but I just make mine a TAD smaller than it needs to be so it stretched on their head and stays put without slipping or falling off.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2008