Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Will I still get child support or will this decision be used against me??

My son's dads parents bought a duplex. My boyfriend and I lived together but did not work out, I have no money for a deposit, etc. for a new apt. My son's dad does not live in the duplex..but if I move into it and agree on rent, etc. will this be used against me? Can he call domestics and say he's providing a place for our son and I to live? Very confused and need help on the matter.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • If you have a rental contract and he doesn't pay the rent or own the property, I don't see how it's even his business to bring-up in a child support situation.

    Answer by Erin814 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • your still paying rent, utilities, food, etc. First he isn't providing you with a place t live, his parents are. Unless he pays the bills for you then he isn't provising anything....which is what child support is for.

    Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • The above statements are true but presentation can change things. Get an attorney

    Answer by mamakrysoftwo at 11:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • If you are paying less than fair market value for rent on the apartment because you are "family" that could go to his credit. You should find out what the other half of the duplex is renting for.

    Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:52 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • It shouldn't due to the child is also his responsibility. He is not providing for you if he is charging any amount of rent and you are paying your own bills, food, etc. You are not neglectful, unfit or abusive. These are the things that the courts look at.

    Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • Draw up a legal lease so you can prove that they are your landlords.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • Make sure you have a signed lease and recipts of deposits, payments to your lease ans utilites. Splitting with an ex can make them become so angry , ugly and nasty and they will do whatever to hurt you and make you look bad. Just cover yourself with always having and requesting the necessary paperwork.

    Answer by KayGia0704 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • Not unless its rent free, and I still think the courts would decide on that are not, also he isnt his parents are.

    Answer by peace013 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • I wouldn't think so. But if you are taking him to court, you're doing to want an attorney.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • I wouldn't think so. If his name is not on the rental agreement, then how could he be providing housing for you?

    Answer by stressedmomma13 at 4:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.