When should I convert my guy's crib into a toddler bed?

He is 17 months old, not a big climber and just getting the hang of walking.

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 11:42 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We went straight to the twin bed from the crib, and did so at 23 months. All was fine and we've never had any problems.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:44 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We converted my son's crib to a toddler bed when he was big/strong enough to climb out of the crib.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i did mine at 15 months... he stared crawling out of the crib so we decided it was time for a big boy bed... We bought a toddler bed though... let him pick it out. My son did great. The first 2 nights were hard but hes been great ever since. Good Luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• He's a little young for a toddler bed because of the difficulties with him getting out of bed frequently. If he hasn't climbed out yet, I'd leave him in until about 2 1/2. Some kids stay a little longer, some are fine a little earlier. Children do better staying in their beds when they're old enough to understand that they should! If he's climbing out or trying to climb out, I'd get him the bed now. Bottom line, it's just safer. With all of the parent that I work with, I suggest putting a pressure gate on the bedroom door as a safety measure. The bed and the gate arrive at the same time so it's a "package"!! When they can get out of bed and go wandering aroung the house, it's a way to keep them safer. One of my client's two year old son's unlocked the front door and walked out in the middle of the night.! Not all kids are that adventurous but there is so much that they can get into! Good luck with your little climber
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 11:59 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We did it at about 19 months. Our son STILL doesn't climb out when he wants us, he just sits there are cries! It's been 6 months!
    I think it just depends on your child. We felt like he was ready, and we knew we could go back if it wasn't working. He's not the kind of kid who keeps getting out of bed to get a book or run out of his room, but some kids do that. So give it a shot and see how it goes. You can always go back if you have to.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We just recently changed our son's crib to a toddler bed. He's between 2 & 2 1/2. He does just fine at night, but he hasn't been taking naps because he knows he can get up and walk around his room. We also tested how he would handle a regular bed (with side rails) at the grandparents' house one weekend and on a trip before we did it, and he seemed to take to it well. We wanted to make sure we weren't doing it too early since his crib can't be converted back once you make it a toddler bed.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i got my son his first big bed when he was 1.
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Well, my daughter never had a crib. She slept with me. Until the day she turn one. I bought her a toddler bed at 12month old. she sleep there just fine.
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 9:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010