What is a safe bedroom heater for a toddler's room?

It seems so cool in his room and it is only October. His little hands are so cold in the morning. I would like to warm up his room overnight safely.

I'm sure once the heat is on it will be fine, but I'm cheap and really try not to turn the heat on til mid November--I try to use the oven a lot.

donnareedonLSD

Asked by donnareedonLSD at 11:49 AM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We have an infa red one at work and I love it. It is a wooden box thing and you can set the hermostat on it. Always make sure you have a smoke detector in every bedroom!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Be REALLY careful about space heaters. They're a HUGE fire risk. I would get him some nice warm footie PJs to keep him warm, and give him a couple of blankets.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm open to any alternatives to a space heater. I've often ran a vaporizer in the room to warm it up, but I don't think that is the best thing for the furniture. We had an oil one a few years ago that eventually caught on fire, so I'd like to avoid something like that.
    donnareedonLSD

Comment by donnareedonLSD (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• We have a Holmes 1 touch. It has temperature controls and shuts off and on like central heat would. Also if it becomes too hot or gets knocked over it has a safety shut off feature. So nothing gets burned.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 1:06 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Something like what mslksdh suggested sounds pretty safe. I think space heaters are more safer that they used to be. Maybe you can find ratings from Consumer Reports or something like that?
    MJC157

Answer by MJC157 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• we have the same problem.. we have set it during the day to see how hot it gets for the room.. and then we tell him not to touch it because its an ouchi.. so he doesn't touch it!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• we have a little electric space heater, it has a feature where it turns off if its knocked over, my BIL used it on their boat and it has never been a problem...we have a kerosene heater in our room but it came with the house, i hate to use it but i usually warm up our room at night and turn it off, it kinda smells :( ugh it sucks only having a woodstove that is sucha fire hazard
    sweet.lil.mama

Answer by sweet.lil.mama at 10:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010