Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

If you split with your SO, but you guys dont go to court for custody and just do it 50/50..

Like you keep the baby while hes working and he keeps the baby while your working, so he is with both equally.. Who claims the child at tax time? You or the SO? What if the SO says he is claiming him and not giving you any cut of it?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (13)
  • Alternate years. Or agree to split the return

    Answer by Orionsgirl at 7:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • One year me, one year him and alternate... I say if he does that make sure you do your taxes first!!!

    Answer by bjojola at 12:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • If you don't have a court order determining custody, he can take the child and never give them back and you will have to go to court to get them. As for visitation, you can set that up however you choose.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • GO TO COURT!!! trust me, its best to get it all legal even if you dont follow it too closely and just do what u want anyways, that way if you get into a fight or something happens then you have the documentation you need

    Answer by mamagee1218 at 12:23 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • This is why it is always a good idea to have a BINDING LEGAL AGREEMENT IN PLACE! No matter how amicable the split, there are always going to be issues that pop up. And, if you have a custody agreement in place most of these are settled there, making it simpler on both of you!

    Answer by mommy11260 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • bad bad bad bad bad bad idea...been there, done that, and still trying to fix it. if you two can always come to an agreement about everything then awesome, but i doubt thats the case. get your agreement legalized by the court and seek primary custody. if you want to allow him to claim the child sometimes, fine, but it should be on your terms. i do know some couples who let whoever will get the most money back claim the child and then split it evenly every year...but that will only work if you are both very honest people.

    Answer by LoriaAnn at 1:21 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • you need to go to court because court will make tax exemptions equal and fair...doing it without an order only causes hate and regret

    Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 3:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • Then that is not 50/50. Does the child live with you or him? If the child lives with you then you have the right to claim and need to have it documented with the court system or it will cause problems later down the line as well.

    Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • I'd say, legalities are nice, but obnoxious if you can avoid them. If you can agree to do taxes one year on, one year off, then do it that way. If you can't come to an agreement about custody and taxes, then go to court and get official custody rights. I'd leave the court out of it if you can tho, at least until it's an issue. The father may be the father of the child, but that doesn't mean he can just take off with your kid. You have rights too. GL

    Answer by BisketLiss at 12:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

  • We don't have anything through the court. We alternate. It works for us.

    Answer by TARARENEE at 12:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010