Is your child learning sign language along with sounds of the alphabet?

My son is 5 and started kindergarten this year. I have noticed he is learning sign language along with the sound of the alphabet. I was just curious if any other children are learning sign language in school. I think this is a wonderful idea, especially since my aunt is deaf.

Kellyjude1

Asked by Kellyjude1 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My daughter is 4 and in Pre-K...they are teaching them sign. I think it is wonderful!
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 12:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I started teaching my son sign language when he showed a delay in speech development at 2yrs. He knows basic sign now, and I am going to try to keep teaching him until he starts school. It would be marvelous if they tought sign in school here, I don't know if they do....
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 12:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yes, I was surprized too!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 12:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think that is wonderful. I think that is a valuable 'language' to learn. I hope my daughters school will implement that.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have a Deaf child, our kids are fluent in ASL before they learn to speak I think my 10 year old sons class is learning, but he already knows it all.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 12:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010