• In the Spotlight:

silverwear?

My son will be one next week. When and how do i teach him how to effectively use a fork and a spoon? any and all suggestions are appreciated.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 8:21 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My nephew will be one Nov, 3 and he already eats with a spoon and fork, oh and not baby stuff either..... It's just exposure to it.... Give it to him, a spoon and let him test drive it....:)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:26 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• my sons b-day is on Nov 3!! :)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:30 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• LOL....yeah my mom, is is temporary caring for my nephew because my sister, his mom, is in Afghanistan. Anyway, my Mom has just been giving him a spoon to eat with for about a 2 months now, and once he figured that out, she stated to give him a fork. He still struggles with the fork but can do it....it really is just exposure and given time to try to do it.....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 8:35 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• give them the food and the spoon and let them do their thing
    Expect a mess lol

My son is 2 and can use one really good now and thats all we did

Just watch out.... they like to hide them or throw them away.. at least my son did
    SexxyMomma26

Answer by SexxyMomma26 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Let him play with a spoon during feedings. From what I've read, until late in the 2-year-old year, they are more interested in quickly eating the food than in learning to use the spoon and fork nicely. That's fine. If he wants to use his fingers to eat applesauce, let him. As he reaches 2.5 years, you can start insisting more and more that he use the spoon and fork. He'll know how by then and will just need to you remind him that "big kids use a fork".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Just give it to him he will get the idea. I like the take and toss toddler spoons and forks. They are cheap and easy to hold.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:13 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My kids had more interest in throwing the silverware at that age. We got them plastic ZooPals silverware (they're disposable but we never throw them away). You can get them in the napkins and paper plates aisle. I think we introduced them at 18 months.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:17 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I've been giving my son silverware for months now. He just plays with them and then throws them on the floor. I try to show him how to use it, but he just doesn't seem interested. I am hoping that one of these days he will actually use it. Until then, I'm not really worried. He will figure it out eventually!
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 10:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Always give a toddler a spoon, at least so they are familiar with it. if they use it hooray, if not they will soon. I introduced a spoon to my daughter at 10 months or so, and she used it with out prompting about 18 months. It took a little longer but she uses it all time.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• my nephew will be one on november 3rd!!!!! lol ;D wait that's ethan lol. Okay so some controversy on silverware. I can't trust bri with any yet because she chokes herself. I feed her myself. There will be time in the future for teaching ettiquette. :D
    darcyk10

Answer by darcyk10 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008