• In the Spotlight:

Cost Of Living Increase a No Show second year in a row.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_social_security_no_cola

Senior Citizens and those who rely on disability get no cost of living increase for the second year in a row. Thoughts?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 12:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I  guess us old folks can sacrifice so congress and the unions don't have to.

I would sure hate to see Harry, Nancy and Andy Stern go without.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i agree that they don't get a Cola raise, however, I think Congress should not have gotten one either
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:53 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I haven't gotten a raise in 3 years....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Cost of living hasn't increased in most areas from what I understand.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If inflation has remained low and the COLA was intended to counteract inflation, then it makes sense for it to stay where it is at.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 12:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Our household income has gone down over the last year, DH is in sales and gets commission, the company decided that they were going to cut commission %. Do I feel for those on SSI and Di, yes, but I would love to have had an income that didn't go down, even though sales are up. At this point I am just happy he has a job and benefits.

Everywhere people in the lower income brackets are struggling, I don't think any one section has a lock on having it the worst.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 3:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I know people who are on SS and they are ALL complaining about how there checks are not going as far as they did. Groceries have gone up utilities have gone up. The "stimulus" check of $250 was susposed to make the difference. What a joke.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If the cost of living hasn't gone up, why have my grocery bill and utility bills gone up?

No, we're not eating more or using more utilities. In fact, we've cut back.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

Yup.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:55 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think that they should have a gotten a cost of living raise. In some areas the cost of living has gone up to say it hasnt in some areas is just stupid. maybe some areas the cost of living has gone down but that doesnt mean every where that the cost of living has gone down. and if congress can keep getting raises then those on ssi or any other government help program should have gotten a raise too.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:19 PM on Oct. 15, 2010