For all of us Pagan or Non-Christians....

Are you all open about your beliefs with people? I realize that its nobody's business, but a Christian can talk openly about their beliefs and how they practice in everyday conversation without being "crucified". I'm pretty open about it. We have a stone circle in our back yard, I discuss things with aquaintances at work, etc.
I ask because I find that many of us here on cafemom are admittedly pagan, etc. But I find that I am the only person I know lol that is not Christian in real life! Do you think people are just not comfortable talking about it?

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The only place I can't talk openly is here on Cafemom. You get downvoted for an unpopular opinion or simply because of a screen name. I have no problems being open IRL because people can simply walk away or change the subject. However I usually don't unless asked specifically about religion or lack of. Some people are uncomfortable talking about it IRL also because of the history between Christians and Pagans. I don't know anyone in my area who shares my lack of beliefs.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:37 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• YES! Everyone who knows me knows that I'm Pagan & that I'm a practicing Witch. I have always been open with it. I enjoy talking religion and educating others on what Pagans and Witches really are... I have a blog devoted to Pagan Education & Lifestyle, I have an area of my Personal/Family website about my beliefs and I'll be launching a Pagan education site soon... All of my business cards have my sites & my blog site on them and I willingly hand them over. I also work with Pagan Packs offline to help promote awareness and other Pagan Businesses.

I don't introduce myself as "Hello, I'm a Witch" but it usually comes up early on. My co-workers always know as do those who get to know me. Because my beliefs are NOT simply something I have when I practice, but a way of life, it's impossible for it not to come up.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:46 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't talk about it unless I have a pretty good idea how the person I'm talking to is going to react. I've heard enough horror stories of non-Christians being harrassed in the south to not want to deal with it. Not believing in a god is my decision alone, and I'm not out to change anyone else's mind about it. I avoid talking about religion except on here, and I'm fine with it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I dont really talk about it with anyone other than my mom. My husband kind of knows, but we dont see eye to eye so we just dont discuss it. I do sometimes go to church with him if he asks but i dont really pay attention. I feel that there are things you dont discuss with just anyone and my beliefs and political stance is one.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 12:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm an atheist, and I'm completely open about it. Thankfully I live in a very progressive area where I don't have to worry about being judged, heh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 12:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I disagree. Christians can't always openly discuss their beliefs without being criticized, especially on this site. Christians get bashed more than any other religion on here. As for discussing my beliefs, I don't often feel the need to share, but I will if asked. I think a lot of people these days keep their religion to themselves, and probably due to the fact that they'll be judged by it, which is sad.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:56 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My friends and family know in real life. I don't discuss religion, along with other topics like politics with coworkers or casual acquaintances. Nor do I wear any overtly religious jewelry to work.

They may suspect there's something "different" about my beliefs, but it's kind of an unspoken "don't ask, don't tell" situation. I'd like to think if people knew they'd treat me the same, having known me long enough to not freak out, but....

it's a small company, family-owned, and jobs are hard to come by right now, especially where I live. I can't afford to rock the boat right now.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:58 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am the only Pagan in our family. I openly wear my pentacles and triquetras (have one tattooed on my inner forearm). I don't hide it from anyone. I find that I get interesting comments. Sometimes my jewelry will start conversations. I have had people ask me about it and want to know more. When it comes to holidays, like Christmas, I blend the regular traditions with my pagan beliefs.

That's not to say that I haven't had the "evil eye" about my jewelry or books. I just smile at them. My BFF says it's a smile not to be challenged. Her first thought is "Oh shit" when she sees THAT smile. *shrug*

The only thing that gets annoying is the automatic assumption that I'm Wiccan. It's like they think that's the ONLY Pagan religion out there. I blame TV and movies for that.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:01 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Before moving to Texas, yes. Now that I'm in Texas, not nearly as likely to tell people I'm pagan. I do, however, still have my bumper stickers on my car (Goddess Loves You! and Isis Astarte Dianna Hecate Demeter Kali Inanna).
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:03 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I'm much more open about being an atheist than I used to be, and last year I put an invisible pink unicorn on my car. I don't bring the topic up, but if I'm asked, I am honest. I do tend to avoid the question or answer with a generic "non-religious" if it's somebody who might treat my kids differently, like in school. Last year my son lost a friend because of it, and I felt bad about that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2010