Thoughts?

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/texas-church-uses-billboard-to-declare-itself-a-bunch-of-jerks-ncx-101510

Asked by older at 1:05 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • look up the website...they sound good to me!

"The church has failed. That’s right; we’ve messed up...The church was SUPPOSED to be a reflection of the God it claimed to serve. The church was SUPPOSED to be the hands and feet of Jesus. But, for the most part, the church has failed. Our failure has left a bad taste in people’s mouths. Our mistakes have led to a lack of credibility...Ghandi had a very good point when he said “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” What a bunch of jerks. Prideful, hypocritical, selfish, judgmental jerks. At Christ Covenant Church, do you know what our response is?...We are fed up with it just as much as you are. We’ve failed. We’ve failed you, we’ve failed each other, and the worst part is that we’ve failed to act like Jesus. And it’s time to own up to our failure because only then can we turn it around.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That's bizarre....
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:09 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• they must be desperate for followers.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:11 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I suppose it's a pretty effective way to advertise... I mean, if I saw a sign like that, I'd be tempted to check out the website, just because I'm curious like that.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:22 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I have a hunch they won't have any trouble finding more jerks like them.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:07 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• ann, they claim that Teachings of Jesus too often ignored by the church.", I tend to agree with this statement.

Comment by older (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i guess the church is damned if they do, and damned if they don't.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Well I'm glad they know what they are. They could have been bigger jerks with a nastier confrontational billboard. Maybe they are saving that for next time as this is our first warning. But dang, they weren't trying to own it, just advertise more crud to fill seats.

I'm wondering if anything happened locally for them to pull what looks like a PR move to me. Did the Church do some kind of wrong doing? Self flagellation is a Christian tradition, so maybe they are getting back to their roots.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I did okmanders, and they sound good to me too!

Comment by older (original poster) at 3:42 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• That is crazy
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 2:57 AM on Oct. 16, 2010