Why should I vote? The polls and the projected electoral College have it figured out.

The Popular polls show Obama and McCain fairly close, but the electoral college shows double the amount of votes. Please explain to me why I should vote when it seems like the government has already chosen our leader.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Maureen is right, and so is anonymous. The popular vote determines who wins the electoral votes in that particular state (with the exceptions of Nebraska and Maine where the congressional districts decide, but the same concept--if you win the popular vote in the particular district, you win the electors.)

Polls aren't always right, and that's because certain demographics are more likely to participate in them than others and they don't give a fully-accurate indication of what's going on. Look at Dewey and Truman, for example. Polls had Dewey up all the way through the night of the election and Truman pulled it out.

You've been given a great opportunity to make your voice heard. Why not take advantage of it?
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 8:47 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Nobody has already chosen anything. Polls are predictions, not physic readings. Everyone should vote so the election reflects the true feelings of the American public

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:37 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The electoral votes are suppose to represent the majority of your states popular vote. I cant tell you why, that your decision.
    Anonymous

• Mamamia,

Let's knock the polls out!!!! LOL, chicka:)
    chickaboom73

Answer by chickaboom73 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Let me see if I remember this from Govt class when I was a senior in high school.........we dont vote on/for our electoral college. Is that right? Way back when it was designed that way, but doesnt always work. For example my state Florida........always goes with Republican even though the "popular vote" was for Democrat in 2000......isnt that right?
    Anonymous

• You should still vote... those are projections... things could turn around, not everyone has voted.
    Anonymous

• The government is not producing the polls or the nifty red and blue map you see on TV. Those people are called "journalists" and they report news and stuff that some folks think is news.

None of it means anything until the votes are cast and counted! It is just a representation of how they think the votes will go, based upon those annoying phone polls that always seem to come during dinnertime.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 9:14 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• The electoral vote in Florida in 2000 was won by Bush who carried it by a 527-vote win in the popular vote.

The electors who represent your state are chosen by your state's political parties. Then, if the state is won by a Republican, then the Republican electors are sent to the national gathering to vote (I think it's December 12 or around there) and that's when the win becomes official. The Democratic electors from that state are discarded. Florida's got 27 electoral votes, and only 27 people can go. If McCain would win the popular vote this year in Florida, then those 27 Republican electors would go to the convention. If Obama wins the popular vote, it's the 27 Democratic electors.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 9:15 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• So in 2000, Bush won 270+ electoral votes and Gore claimed the rest. There was a case with one elector who went to the gathering and protested the outcome, and consequently, Gore lost one of his electoral votes because that elector withheld it.

Very confusing process. Very confusing. Part of the reason it's so tough for third-party candidates to make a go of it during the presidential race.
    MammaMiaMA

Answer by MammaMiaMA at 9:16 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• polls are not accurate! it's very important that you vote for your candidate of choice!!
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:18 PM on Oct. 27, 2008