Some parents just get on my nerve!!!!!

I attended my son's high school open house. What bothered me is parents just don't understand that this time is for teachers to discuss with us their class procedures within 15 minutes. In one of my son's class, there were two parents who got there a few minutes early just to discuss grades. One was told her daughter was getting an A. He had to repeat it 4 times during their 5 min conversation because being so happy, she keep talking about how wonderful her daughter is as well as other things. The other parent found out that her son wasn't even recognized by the teacher because of his lack of turning in any work. I know she was embarrassed. They got mad at me just because I reminded them that this was not parent conference and how many times does he have to tell you she has an A. Long story short, the teacher ran over his time and we had about 5 min for the next class. Teacher apologized.

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 1:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in

• Sometimes that happens..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:12 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• – collapse
    i think you are just jealous of the other childs accomplishments! I always discuss my children with the teacher whenever possible! That is what good parents do! Plus they encourage all and any communications at all evetns, that is why our open house was a 3 hour event! Shame on you for you jealousy!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Yeah sometimes it does happen. Quite often actually. I am a teacher and I know from experience.
    siimply_me

Answer by siimply_me at 1:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If they had a question, they should've waited until the end of the open house class procedures. Very tacky on parent's part. There is a time and a place and that definitely was not the place.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would have to agree with you. it annoys me you always have a parent that needs to chit chat and keep others waiting. I do feel it's the job of the teacher to keep things on task.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would be guily of asking how my daughter is doing to. Its natural especially if you want you child to excel. My daughter has a notebook that her teacher and I communicate on everyday and feel that is not enough. I still ask about her whenever I see the teacher. The proud parent you described is like most and any parent, proud of your childs accomplishments some of us get a little carried away.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• WOW,Jealous? My son, too,got an A. It's a computer class, not a major subject and if you wanted parent conference, there was a sign up sheet. I didn't mind her asking about her daughter while the next group trickled in, but to stay as long as she did and to keep repeating things until she finally got it, wow. She was insensitive.
    ladylovemm

Comment by ladylovemm (original poster) at 1:24 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It sounds like your school runs a very structures open house and that is why there are these problems. At my sons school they run a free open house, you can go see the teachers at any time during the hour and half open house. The teachers take the time to talk with each parent about their students and if the line was to long you could move on to a different teacher.

I think this way of handling open hosue works better becaus then you don't have these problems. I understand how you might be frustrated by this although I have to say I would aks about my child, I don't know if I would keep talking although I think it just natural to make sure your child is doing well. If they aren't then you want to know that as well,

It is sad that you did not have a good experience, Good Luck in the future!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• excuse my typos! happens all the time. I guess someone didnt like my answer. Sorry for being honest
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Why should parents be kept waiting for q & a . They have internet grade systems throughout most school systems now. So honestly, this delimma will soon go away. Everyone is entitled to know theri children's grades but wait until the open house of the class is over or if if you get there early and the teacher is not busy. But don't bulldoze through a classroom of other parents, it is rude when everyone else is waiting patiently.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010