Is it my kidney? Labor? HELP!

I am 39wks. This morning I woke up with a pain in the mid left side of my back. I chalked it up to possibly sleeping in a bad position. Two hours later and the pain gets really bad, wraps around the left side of my stomach and then stops for short intervals. I've tried laying down, a heating pad, but being on all fours is the only position that helps. I called my dr and she said that if it hurts that bad to go to labor and delivery to see if it's my kidneys (possible stones) and maybe they'll give me some pain meds. I'm waiting for DH to get home to drive me, but was wondering if anybody has had similar pains, and were they stones? If not, what was the cause?

mire621

Asked by mire621 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• hmm... could be contractions. I know some people have back labor.
    good luck whatever the case
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:14 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It sounds like contractions to me. Start timing them...like how far apart the pain comes and goes. If it starts being consistently 5 mins apart you should go to the hospital. Drink a big glass of water and see if it helps. It really seems like you are in labor to me though.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Sounds like back labor and contractions. I would go to L&D since you are pretty much considered full term it could be early labor you are feeling. Either way it is best to find out either way. GL!
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 1:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Def sounds like back labor.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• All 3 of my wonderful kids gave me back labor and if you don't have any history of kidney issues, I would think that at 39 weeks, you are probably in labor. If your water hasn't broken and you are not yet 5 mins apart, I wouldn't worry about rushing in to the hospital....try to relax and wait for DH to get there. Is he on his way? Good luck!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I would call the Dr and get more accurate answers.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Back labor is more in your lower back. Your kidneys lie against the posterior body wall just below your ribs, so if you were have trouble with them, that's where you'll feel it. Kidney pain varies, but it can be sharp or dull, achy, etc. Back labor may or may not wrap around to your stomach. When I had it, I first felt the contractions in my stomach, but that quickly changed. I get my menstrual cramps in my back, and I felt them in my lower back, just like menstrual cramps, just more severe.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I had kidney stones at 13 weeks and it felt like being stabbed in your lower back. Mine was on my right side. I couldn't walk and it would go away for awhile and come on even stronger. It repeated this several times before I went to the ER thinking I was having a miscarriage. My OBGYN says kidney stones rival labor pain because it starts out bad, goes away, comes back, etc, just like labor. In some instances, kidney stones are more painful than labor pains -- best option is to go to the hospital and get it checked out. They gave me a catheter for a clean urine sample and found small traces of stuff in my urine that indicated stones even though I didn't see blood or anything like a normal kidney stone. I was hospitalized for a few days with pain meds while they administered IV fluids so that I would pass the stone.

I hope it's just labor and not a kidney stone because you do not want those back to back being 39 weeks!!
    rachealbyrd

Answer by rachealbyrd at 1:39 AM on Oct. 17, 2010