The big G....

I know their are not really any rules about this but I was raised where a women stayed home and took care of her family and the home I have really inside always felt quilty for not working outside the home too.My husband has never pressured me about this b/c I take care and do everything at home not him but I'm feeling so burned out and also have some anxiety issues over going back in the world.I have been home for 19 yrs.why can't I just be happy at home instead of now feeling I'm not doing enough!What all do u sahms do at home?A job would probably be like a vac.to me I have raised 4 kids one still at home.Makes sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• it totally makes sense... I think we get a lot of pressure and mixed messages from society as a whole- in the media, etc...
    you have to find the path that's right for you. Maybe if you are finding that you have too much time on your hands you could volunteer somewhere (if money isn't the issue)
    good luck whatever you decide :)
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 1:17 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I think the only "rule" is that each parent does what they think it best for their children and their family. My mom believes the same thing, that the women should be home with the kids and the man should be working, and she stayed home with my sisters and I until we were probably 6 or 7. Then she got a part-time receptionist job at a doctor's office because she was just sooo bored all the time at home. She didn't HAVE to work, and my dad didn't pressure her too, but she wanted the "adult time" and to make some extra spending money. We were all fine with her decision. I think if you want to and feel comfortable getting a little side job or something like that, then you should go for it! My son is 14 months old and I'm already thinking about going back to working a few hours a week just for the break and for the money!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I volunteer, and do alot in the community, it keeps me from feeling trapped! But I will never work outside the home if i dont have to! I am old fashioned!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• If you are concerned about skills contact your local job center. They always have classes you can take for free to brush up on everything from resume's, interviews, computer skills, etc. That may help you make a better decision on what you want to do. Even if you don't get a job - educating yourself is never a bad thing!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Have you thought about volunteer work if not actual work? It will get you started into the direction of getting back out into the world outside of home and socializing. I know when I wasn't working I always tried to be involved in something to try to keep in touch with things. (although right now I haven't been doing so well at that, lol).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:07 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If you are not happy where you are at, do what you love to do... if you can make money doing it then thats awesome! try out a hobby or volunteer, or get a fun part time job! I totally know what you mean about the guilt... I try and appease that little monster by doing some small jobs here and there, working in the church nursery during the week, and babysitting... stuff that I can do and still be home with my son :)
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 8:27 PM on Oct. 18, 2010