fish?

My son is soooo into nemo and i wanted to get him a little fish for christmas. but i was recently told by his stepmother that they got him one for their house and even though they put it up really high he still got into it and murdered the poor fish. I was wanting to know how to teach him that it is a delicate fish you can not try to kill it. I still really want to get him a fish for christmas. Any helpful suggestions?

iluvmymomasboys

Asked by iluvmymomasboys at 1:25 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• At that age, it is almost impossible to get him to understand....since he's already killed one, I'd recommend against it...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• You cna try to talk with him about how he can't touch the fish and you can keep it out of reach. I am not sure if at this age he will understand that he can not hold the fish or take it out of the water. You can try to explain this, although I would be prepared that the fish might die, so I would not get a really expensive one.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I am sorry he is 3 forgot to put the age.
    iluvmymomasboys

Comment by iluvmymomasboys (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Get a tank with a lid so he can't open it. Tell him that fishy can't breathe unless he's in water so he can't come out.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:35 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i have heard from friends of mine. with this experience of their house hold. the child may be watching this some how so he is just taking it as he can do it also. I'm not telling you that your a bad mother or anything.. this can come from movies.. what theyre friends are doing...
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:10 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't think its that he isn't in school and I monitor everything he watches. I think it is he is so facinated by the fish he wants the fish to come out and play. or to pet it and just doesnt understand you can't pet it.
    iluvmymomasboys

Comment by iluvmymomasboys (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Get him a Nemo Doll.
    christinab313

Answer by christinab313 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• My son is crazy about fish too and I got him some fish. At first I was going to get him A FISH but then after thinking it over I got him 4. How I saw it is if I get him one fish he would fall in love with it and then it would die like a week later.... So I got him 4 small fish and only one died and he didn't really notice until a month later. Just be careful about overcrowding if you get him more than one. You should always have one gallon of water for each inch of fish. and you should calculate the inch/water ratio with how big the fish will get. I got 4 fish that grow to <2 inches and put them into a 10 gallon tank. 
    I told my son that fish have to say in the water so they can breath. He couldn't breath under water and the fish can't breath out of it. My DS loves helping me with the fish.

colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 4:00 AM on Oct. 16, 2010