did you take a birthing class? did you find it helpful at all?

We are signed up for a class this weekend

elizabiza

Asked by elizabiza at 1:27 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I did with my first child 24 years ago...I found it very helpful then...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I did. I was already an apprentice midwife, so it was more for my husband than me. I did find it very helpful, it helped my husband get over his fear of childbirth a lot and helped him be more supportive.

I was so helped by the course that I decided to teach them lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I didn't. DH wouldn't have been able to attend because of his work schedule at the time and I didn't want to go alone.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• With my first pregnancy I took a birthing class a breastfeeding class and a newborn care class. I found all of them informative and interesting and fun. I know many say they don't get anything out of birthing classes, etc., I was so into being pregnant my first time that I just loved it all. I will say that the breastfeeding class was the best thing I've ever done, if it wasn't for all of the information I got there, I know I would not have been so successful BFing my kids.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I did. I thought they were fun and insightful. I also took on class on bathing and dressing a baby and a nursing class.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• i did not. they treat you as if all labor and delivery is the same for every woman. i gave birth just fine and effortlessly with no help from any classes
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Yes I did and yes I found it VERY helpful. I was only 21 when I had my son and I had no idea what to expect. I was hoping for a c-section and I wasn't planning on breastfeeding for very long...if at all. Well the nurses completely changed my mind. I PRAYED I wouldn't wind up having a c-section..which thankfully I didn't have to, and I ended up breastfeeding my son for 13 months. I think its a great thing for any first time mom.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• With my first, I took the birthing class, breastfeeding class and newborn care class, and honestly... I didn't find them useful at all. I'm pretty obsessive about reading up on things, so they didn't tell me anything I hadn't already learned on my own. Total waste of time for me.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It's good to get some breathing techniques and see the procedures if you're not familiar. There are lots of different classes out there, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I went to birthing classes and it did help me a lot. The classes i went to were big supporters of natural birth (no drugs) so it really made me think I could do it naturally. I ended up getting an epedural (thank God!) It did teach me ways to deal with the pain before hand though. They also teach you after birth things like how to change diapers and how to pump and how to put in a car seat. I plan on going back for a refresher with this pregnancy. ( sometimes you get free things too)
    kat12874

Answer by kat12874 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 15, 2010