Do you agree that no matter how hard you try to shield your children from certain music or television, control of what they are exposed to is lost when they go to school and interact with other children? How can you prevent this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I don't shield my child from anything... I think it's better for them to see/hear and discuss if they have questions, because you're right, they WILL be exposed to it either way outside of the home.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:30 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I agree. That is why I never sheltered. I allowed him to see and hear things while we were together and I used that time to talk, teach and explain about the world and things in it. And since it was in our home with me and not something learned out in the real world without me, I could control and handle it in a way better suited to my son rather than him learning things for the first time in school away from me. It gave him a vantage point over others as he already had an idea and opinion on things and could confidently argue his position on anything.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• There is no protecting them. All you can do is keep trying to teach them right from wrong and what to listen to and what not to along with who/what to trust and what/who not to trust.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:31 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I didn't shield my son from too much to be honest. So, I'm not sure if he would have eventually been exposed to things I didn't want him to be exposed to or not via school/school-mates.

The only thing that was off limits to my son when growing up was pure pornography. Otherwise, I didn't censor the arts (ie: music, paintings, sculptures, movies, plays..etc..)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 1:32 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't believe in shielding or censoring anything from my children... You can't and shouldn't attempt to keep your children from the world, it only causes more harm in the long run.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:38 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• They'll have to live in the real world sometime. Just counter act the mishaps with education and information. And a good explanation of why you don't do that at home. You want to control the situation, give them knowledge.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 1:33 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I don't think you should sheid your kids. I think that you need to explain reality in an age appropriate way. I think that is how they grow up to be healthy, functioning human beings. If you sheild them from everything what will they do when they have to cope with the world because there is no way you can prevent that from happening.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 1:39 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I do agree that once your child heads out into the world the things they have been shielded from are going to be there... but I also believe that shielding your children from these things only causes more problems in the future. They will grow up one day and see/hear/do things you do not approve of.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 1:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• It's life. If they were completely sheltered they would be an outcast. Kids need to be able to talk with their peers. If your 11 year old was singing songs from the Little Mermaid on her ipod, kids would make so much fun of her. They have to be exposed to life.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:41 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I never believed in sheltering my children, I used those things as tools for learning. I believe that parents have more influence than music or tv, and its up to us to utilize the influence. The only thing I ever had off limits is pornography (same as Pixie).
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:04 PM on Oct. 15, 2010