I once had a friend who was also my landlord at the time this happened who slapped her kid across the face in front of me!

The child was about 12 yrs old at the time and he made a slightly sarcastic remark that really wasn't disrespectful in my opinion. I do discipline my children but I would NEVER ever do this no matter what. I consider it to be abuse. What would you do? Do you think what his mom did was right or wrong?

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 1:45 PM on Oct. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think she was wrong. I didn't get slapped that much, but when I was a kid seemed like I couldn't open my mouth without there being something wrong with what was said.

my mother still acts that way - but now it's about 70% vs 95.
    she wonders why no one talks to her more...............
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Being slapped in the face is an insult! It's wrong! I would have grounded the child for the remark not hit him. It makes you think if she hits him for any other little thing. I couldnt call CPS on her because there is no other signs of abuse.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I believe everyone parents differenly so what you do with your children is your business. I don't believe in hitting my children at all.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:50 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• Very few things a person can say would warrant slapping someone in the face. Something like the one and only time my mom ever slapped me, I could understand. (I was 13, and being very disrespectful and one day got into an argument with my mom and called her a C@*!, for that I deserved a slap.)

But like I said VERY few things anyone could say would warrant a slap in the face. ANYONE. Let along a child.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:25 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't think it's that bad. 12 is too old to spank the bottom. Although, i would not have slapped my child...but i have been slapped by my mom. If i was ever disrespectuful, or said a swear word above the age of 11...i got slapped. My mom is south American, they all slap their kids, i swear...LOL, BUT, i learned quickly not to disrespect her. Also, what your opinion of disrespectful is, might be totally different than hers. Some parents let their kids "talk back". I do not...i don't like it, i think it's disrespectful. Some think i am harsh about it, but i really don't care.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't think I would do it, but I don't think it's abuse. I've slapped complete strangers across the face, so I can't say I would NEVER do it... Abuse is where there is lasting injury of some kind... A slap to the face doesn't do that.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:52 PM on Oct. 15, 2010

• a slap across the face in humiliating! I would let her know that it made me extremely uncomfortable.
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 12:54 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• wow, really surprized at how many people are mad at you for questioning her behavior. Makes me wonder how they handle THEIR kids.

anyways. I'm not a fan of spankings, let alone a slap. There are very few times IMO that ANYONE deserves to be slapped in the face. It's probably one of the most disrespectful ways you can hit someone. It's meant to be degrading and insulting. So it didn't leave PHYSICAL bruising, but there are other forms of abuse, like emotional abuse. And if she has the nerve to slap her son in front of others for a small comment that was questionable, then yes it's probably worse at home.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:23 AM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I know! It really shocked me that soo many people commented that they were okay with slapping and mad at you for just admitting you were shocked. I'd have been shocked to if someone hauled off and slapped their kids in front of me.

I'll bet if this had been some strange woman in the grocery store and she just hauled off and smacked her kid in the line infront, a majority of your comments from people complaining that you DIDN"T call cps or the police. I don't see why you knowing her and her being your landlord would make it change to a "mind your business" subject.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Slapping a child on the face is consider abuse because this form of "hit" is done out of anger...when you "hit" on the face you are demonstrating ANGER and not approved or seen as a form of discipline....it is the wrong way to discipline...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2010